RealSupport
RealSupport, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Ive had insomnia off -and - on for 5 years. its; caused me to lose work and makes it

I've had insomnia off -and - on for 5 years. its; caused me to lose work and makes it dificut to perform to a high standard that i normally do . i am a student studying to become a registered property valuer and this disorder is hurting my chances at success.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you.

Customer:

hi rafael

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hi! I am truly sorry to know you have been coping with insomnia this long.

Customer:

yeah well it's a bit of a struggle to hold down a job

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You are a young person and cannot imagine how tough things could get when not getting a good rest you need and deserve.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Have you got all the necessary medical-neurological evaluations to identify the cause of this insomnia or the factors worsening it?

Customer:

yeah they sure do, i lose the ability to cope in work situations and find it reakly frustrating. what's more i dont like employers to know i have insomnia because they think of it as some kind of weakness

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

That's very frustrating but real.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

What about evaluations?

Customer:

i don't have any neurological evaluations but have seen a gp who put me on a couple anti anxiety/antidepressants because i have sleep anxiety as well.

Customer:

no formal evaluation that i'm aware of.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, then there could be the root of your insomnia but it is always wise to get those evaluations completed.

Customer:

im in nz. you?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Right now traveling in South America

Customer:

your office must be pretty nice today!

Customer:

do you think i shoud see a specialist?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The antidepression medication was for the insomnia too, you said you have anxiety, right?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Absolutely.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Psychotherapy, even more considering you got this anxiety disorder, my best guess is that it could be very psychogenic

Customer:

sleep anxiety. it's different to anxiety disorder although i am quite hihly strung i dont think i have anxiety disorder.

Customer:

depression, maybe, anxiety, not so much. i'm not saying i'm not an anxious personality, but not to the point of needing drugs.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

What circumstances were you facing 5 years ago when this problem started?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then it is psychotherapy what you need more than anything, since it could easily create or worsen insomnia and anxiety too.

Customer:

i have had spates of insomnia since i was about 10, usually in times of change.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see, then that points at how sensitive you are and how your emotions get expressed-impact on your body-physiology and specifically your sleep.

Customer:

then 5 years ago when it got really bad, i had extreme stress inmy life from all different angles. i had no money, i was trying to study full tie and work full time too, i was having relationship probems (my partner was a problem gambler) and i did suffer from long bouts of depression.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Then I truly think that could be it, it does perfect sense

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Depression and anxiety appear as a reaction from your body-psyche to overwhelming experiences you do not know how to cope with.

Customer:

yeah, well now many of the stressors are gone. in five years my life has changed a lot for the better. we have (almost) enough money for the basics now, we've moved to the city where my partner can find work (we were extremely poor before)

Customer:

but...

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

but...?

Customer:

we can;t afford to live in a decent house and have a very cold little apartment, when it gets cold i can't sleep. i will always have bouts of insomnia for the rest of my life, i just don't see them ever stopping. what should i do?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Counselign or psychotherapy to work on any depression-anxiety and improving coping skills.

Customer:

yeah, that would be great if i could afford it! i'll have to see if theres a way i can get a subsidiesdservice. what would you recommend for a different drug from zopiclone? i sem to be completely immune to them

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Apparently it is through sleep problems that your anxiety and depression express themselves the most, and the approach to improve your sleep must be based on those areas.

Customer:

yeah i know. i really hope i can find a place i can afford.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You need and deserve to feel better and I feel hopeful about you, I would not state that you have to undergo insomnia for the rest of your life, but that things could improve if you get the adequate support.

Customer:

yeah you're right. can i keep this transcritp for future reference?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is already saved in your account.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

And it is accessible even from Google, since this is public information

Customer:

cool. thanks so much you've been fery helpfyl!