Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.

When i am bored or full of anxiety, i listen to music and go

When i am bored or full of anxiety, i listen to music and go into a trance like state where i am imagine i am a different verison of myself. ( a talented beautiful dancer ). While in this state of "trance" i rock back and forth and do not see or hear anything around me. I have been doing this since i was about 9 years old. What would you call this condition? What is this? When i do i get stress relief, as if i wouldve had a good workout, thats why i have continued to do it. Please help!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Karyn Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for bringing your concerns to Just Answer...and can truly imagine your concerns with this..
To perfectly honest with you to rock back and forwards is done by way of a repetative motion for many to 'self comfort' when feeling, tense, anxious, tired, bored, lonely up tight, even depressed or sad..
In otherwords this is a comfort action where for you it creates a great sense of pleasure and relief..whereby you feel at ease in yourself and your own skin..
My own son does this and it is a learned comforting behaviour..
Though, for some it may or may not become a compulsive addictive behaviour.for others it simply is a release to help one 'tune out' and feel free in ones body..
I honestly don't suspect that there is anything to worry about..my son was assessed and was told the same thing..To some children its a bit like carrying thier blankie'around with them..Though of course as one moves on into early adulthood and or adulthood you naturally leave your comfort blankie behind..and for others comfort is sought through a gental rocking motion similar to that of being found in the mothers womb..

I truly hope that this has helped to put any fears or concerns aside...because it certainly beats self medicating and or seeking comfort in a self defeating way...which many sadly seem to choose to day..
Take very good 'self' care now and continue to 'touch base with self in this way because it also helps to create a greater inner awareness..

Kind thoughts
warmest wishes

p.s and I truly apologise for any late response that may have resulted as it has much to do with world time difference I'm afraid and when an expert is next available to answer..

Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.
Hi again, upon reflecting I just wanted to add that if you tune out and rock while out and or in social circles then it would be a good idea to have this investigated further..
as it may or may not mean the presence of DID (Disassociative Personality Disorder )..I don't want to frighten you ..please know this..But, as mentioned if you find that this is repetative action in other' circles then it would be a good idea to make an appointment with your Dr or health care provider who may see the need for you to discuss this further with a psychiatrists as they will be able to refer you if deemed necessary ...
DID is best explained where one diassociates from themselves and others when feeling anxious, fearful, distressed unable to cope......
I just felt a need to add this and as I say don't wish to create any further anxiety..
Take good care now won't you and please 'accept' this if it has helped to clarify further for you as it contributes much by way of keeping our service going in the future for others alike..

Kind thoughts
warmest wishes
Karyn J