Howard Wise
Howard Wise, Counselor
Experience:  Counseling with a compassionate ear and a loving heart.
66386897

Im in my 30s and i have almost an obsessive thought from

Customer Question

I'm in my 30's and i have almost an obsessive thought from time to time.

When i was 16, I wrote a note to a girl and teased that she should date me instead of some other guy she liked.

Well, he followed me home one day and attacked me. He pushed me to the ground from the back, then said, "Get up so I don't have to hit you on the ground". I did stand, but of course he sucker punched me back down and continued to him me. I was afraid and he didn't really retaliate. I moved to a different state not too long afterwards.

From time to time I will think of that event. I can't believe anyone would think it's ok to hit me or touch me harmfully in any way. even today, I can feel somewhat paranoid about going out in public for fear of being attacked. Here are my questions:

1. How do I get past this and get on with my life.
2. What do I do the next time someone decides to attack me in the street?

Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Howard Wise replied 4 years ago.
Good evening, this is Howard,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still suffering from the aftereffects of that unfortunate incident.

You reported that you feel somewhat paranoid about going out in public. Does your fear keep you from doing that or are you able to go out in public anyway?

The best way to get over most fears is to do the thing you fear. After a while, the fear will subside and no longer bother you.

I think it's unlikely that you will be attacked again, however, if you were to study karate, for example, you'd probably feel more secure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I will try to face my fear more in order to overcome it.
You are quite welcome.

If you would like to post a follow-up question I will be happy to answer it at no extra charge.

If not, please feel free to contact me again by writing my name at the beginning of your question.