Askyourquestion, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor and Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor

I recently called off my engagement. I have found myself having

Customer Question

I recently called off my engagement. I have found myself having meaningless sex since I was 18. the idea that someone wants to give themselves to me makes me feel special, even though i know its just sex. I wasn't considered pretty in high school, and nights when someone wants me o fill there bed makes me feel important. I love the rush I get from someone holding a knife to my throat while we have sex. Am I a sex addict? What can I do to fix this? I want to be commited to my boyfriend but he is catholic and wont have sex till marriage and I find myself craving every guy who gives me the time of day.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Askyourquestion replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question. I can clearly see that you are concerned about your behavior. Here are some questions to ask yourself to see if you sexual behavior has become a problem for you.

Ten signs that point to a problem

1. A pattern of out-of-control behavior

2. Severe consequences due to sexual behavior

3. Inability to stop despite adverse consequences

4. Persistent pursuit of self-destructive or high-risk behavior

5. Ongoing desire or effort to limit sexual behavior

6. Sexual obsession and fantasy as a primary coping strategy

7. Increasing numbers of sexual experiences because the current level of activity is no longer sufficient

8. Severe mood changes around sexual activity

9. Inordinate amounts of time spent in obtaining sex, being sexual, or recovering from sexual experiences

10. Neglect of important social, occupational, or recreational activities because of sexual behavior If you answered yes to 3 or more of these questions you might want to go and talk to a counselor about your sexual behavior. Sexual behavior activates the pleasure circuit in your brain and can become an addictive behavior of some. It is often treated in a similar way to how substance abuse is treated. There are also self-help 12 step groups for people who feel they have a problem with their sexual behavior. Sex Anonymous information is available on-line. I wish you well.