Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
37122071

my son will be 14 next month he gets stabbing headache pains and hears voices unrecognizab

my son will be 14 next month he gets stabbing headache pains and hears voices unrecognizable "like aliens". The pain is on both sides of his head over the ears. He says his eyes sting quite often as well. He does wear glasses for distance. Yesterday he thought he saw reflections on the pavement when we were driving but it wasn't hot enough for that and I did not see any? He holds his hands to his head and screams in pain. He is to have a CT scan soon and we are investigating a psychologist. Any idea what he may have wrong?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
How upsetting this must be and going on for over one year!!? These are serious symptoms of either a physical or mental condition. It is a good thing that the CT scan is finally being done. Hopefully, he is being referred to a neurologist to evaluate for physical condition such as some type of encephalitis or brain abnormality (such as a tumor). If this is ruled out, he should see a child psychiatrist (not psychologist) for medication. Hallucinations suggest a psychotic (thinking) disorder such as childhood schizophrenia. The medications which treat this are of the anti-psychotic class. I can understand why the GP does not want to prescribe these. It requires the expertise of a specialist.

Once again, I am so sorry that you are going through this difficult time and that it is taking so long for a solution. Warm regards,

I know all this is scary and you are probably trying to prepare yourself for the worst.