TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

the question about numbness you answered for me is locked and

the question about numbness you answered for me is locked and I cant read it!

I'll repost it here:

Hi! It's good to hear from you. You are not bugging me at all. I am glad to be here for you. Anxiety is hard to cope with. I understand how you feel.

It is highly doubtful that you have oral cancer. For one, you would probably have more than one symptom. It is unusual to have just one symptom and that is all you notice. Also, oral cancer is usually caused by smoking (after a number of years) and/or excessive use of alcohol.

Anxiety, however, is more likely the cause. It is extremely common to fear an illness like cancer when you have anxiety. That is because an illness feels out of control and when you have anxiety, anything that makes you feel out of control tends to become the focus.

You can help yourself by taking steps to address your fear. Start by seeing your doctor to rule out any illness (mostly to give you peace of mind). Then work on this fear as we talked about in the last posts. It helps to change your thinking and work on facing your fear i.e, "So what if I did have cancer? I would handle it like anyone else would. I would get help, work with my doctors, and get better." If you face the fear, it can no longer have a hold over you.

Write anytime you need to. I'm here to help. I know how anxiety can disrupt your life. Talking about it helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing I do can make the numbness go away. I have tried everything I can think of it just won't leave. I an scared it will stay this way. Is there something I can do to help it go away until I talk to a doctor?
It will not stay this way. Working through your anxiety involves changing your thoughts. Right now, you see the anxiety as having control over you. But as you learn to change your thinking, you will see that your thoughts are what controls how you feel. It may not go away immediately, but it will start to feel better.