TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Kate, I have not told my therapist of the stealing. I cant.

I have not told my therapist of the stealing. I can't. Or at least just yet I can't. I am way too embarassed to tell her what I've been doing for the past few months. Actually, I think I am scared of her reaction. It's like I feel she will be disappointed and angry at me for doing it. I've only told you about it and that wasn't easy either.

I don't know how to tell her without feeling horrible about myself. More than I already do. Any suggestions?

You are right there was a time I handled things without him. However, things were much easier to handle with him. I think it will be tougher for me. Plus, my daughter loved him too. He says he still loves us both and wants to be a support to me but I just can't go down that road. It would hurt too much talking to him knowing we are not a couple anymore.

Life sure is tough. With your job, I'm sure you know this to be all too true. I just wish things were a bit easier too handle. I feel so incredibly overwhelmed right now.

Thanks for your words. Right now I feel so many emotions, it seems so important to me that I have you and my therapist to lean on a little. I hope you realize how much good you do.

You did tell me that you hadn't mentioned the stealing to your therapist, sorry about that.

Given that your problem has gotten worse recently, you may want to consider telling her about it. It is going to be hard to overcome if you don't have as much support as you can get. I do understand your embarrassment about it. It's natural to feel the way you do. But I do not think any less of you and your therapist would not either. Kleptomania is a problem just like any other problem, a symptom of something deeper that needs addressed.

If telling your therapist is too much to consider right now, you can try self help. Here are some links to help:

Kleptomania: The Compulsion to Steal - What Can Be Done? by Marcus J. Goldman M.D.

Also, realize that you are human, Kathy. Try not to fault yourself. And give yourself credit for seeing that you have a problem and for addressing it. Many people do not have the same insight that you have.

Life will be harder without your boyfriend with you. Yes, you did live without him at one time and can again, but I understand that you will miss his support. And that is part of mourning your loss. You will miss those good things about him. And that is ok to take time to work through.

Thank you for your kind words! I can only hope that the words I write will help.

Write whenever you feel down. I'm here for you.

I hope you have a good night.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you think I was right with my decision not to accept my ex-boyfriend's support?

Your words do help. And when I feel really down and have no access to you or my therapist, I can always go back and either read some of the words my therapist has said that I wrote down in my journal during past sessions or reread your words to me. It helps in the in between time. It helps me realize that I have people wanting to help me.

Right now you are feeling very hurt. And if you feel it's too much to be near your boyfriend, it is just fine to tell him that you need space. You could always ask him if it's ok if you contact him when you are feeling better, then see how you feel.

It's good you save your therapist's information and our talks as well. It can also serve to help you see how far you have come. You do have people that want to be there for you, me included. Support can help you feel less alone and help you through the difficult times.