Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
45544450

ADHD/asbergers testing

What are the down sides to having a 6 year old boy tested for ADHD and possible asberger's? He has always been happy go lucky, but is now starting have a low self esteem calling himself stupid and comparing himself negatively to others at school. He is very sensitive and easily frustrated and hurt if he makes any kind of mistake.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

There really isn't a downside to having your child tested. You could just explain to your child that the tests are just to see how he is doing in general, so you don't worry him. From what you describe such as low self worth, or being hard on himself for making a mistake, doesn't in any way indicate that he has ADHD or Asperger's.

Does he seem to have trouble focusing or with attention span? Maybe something happened at school that has made him feel bad about himself. Have you asked him if anything occurred to make him feel this way?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, he has quite a lot of difficulty staying on task and is very easily distracted. He is "quirky", flaps his hands and jumps up and down when excited or when wheels are spinning etc. has had some compulsive behaviours (hair pulling, eyelash pulling) off and on for over a year and has never been interested in participating in group activities. He enjoy playing one on one with a friend, but any time there is more than one thing happening at once, he is lost, or disinterested or wanders off to do his own thing.

We have spoken a great deal about school and what happens there. He internalizes his mistakes as failures and at times, our entire family is stuck trying to manage through his insistence on things being a certain way. For example, he used to have a very long goodbye ritual that took up to 10 minutes before we could go anywhere. He is highly intelligent, has had a huge vocabulary since very young and understands metaphor, abstract concepts and has an incredible eye for detail and observation.
Expert:  Kristin replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I do think that from what you are describing, that you should definitely have your son assessed. He does seem to have some traits that are of concern and the only way to know for sure what is going on, is to have him tested. You can ask the school how to go about this or contact his pediatrician and have him assessed by a child psychologist/neurologist who specializes in childhood developmental issues. The good news is that he is young and with early intervention can make huge strides in development and in lessening some of these quirky traits. You also need him to learn how to accept mistakes and not feel like he is a failure, as they are simply part of life and learning.

So, again there is absolutely no reason or downside in having him assessed. Time is of the essence as the brain can be easily molded while it's still developing, and you want to take full advantage of that opportunity. Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please do click ACCEPT button so I'm credited for my help today. Thank you,

Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!