Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Kate, I agree with you on getting out more and doing other

Kate,

I agree with you on getting out more and doing other activities. But as you said, it is difficult to do this right now.

I loved him with all my heart and it took a very long time to trust him (or anybody) after the first 2 assaults. I even waited more than year of dating him to introduce him to my daughter to be sure he was long term material. But the third assault he was there for me. He is really such a sensitive person and someone I could always depend on for support. He understood my difficulties with intimacy and was more than okay with it. I feel like a piece of me is gone. I don't know if I can handle all my problems without him. I just don't think I can.

I can feel myself falling further and further down into depression. I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel anymore. Also and this is so embarrassing to admit but I will for the sake of understanding......my stealing has gotten out of control. Stuff I take, I don't even need. It has gotten to the point that i just give the stuff away to other people. I can't seem to stop either.

All the links you have provided to me, I have read. Thank you as they were all quite informative. I just don't feel I have anyone to talk to. Thank goodness for yourself and my therapist.

Thanks Kate. As I write this I feel the tears. Tears for so many bad things that have happened to me. I don't understand why. Is it just bad luck? Or is God punishing me for the stealing. I think it is the latter. I pray lots and ask for forgiveness but then just go back to breaking his commandment.

Thanks as always Kate. You are always a wonderful place to turn to when I have no one else.

Kathy
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Kathy, you're welcome! I am glad to be here for you.

It is very hard to put your trust into someone then have them leave. It feels like a betrayal. And working through that can be difficult. His leaving just occurred, so this feels very intense to you right now. In time, you will be able to learn to trust again. It may not seem so now, when you are hurting so badly. But you will. It takes some work, some time to mourn your loss, and recovering. But you will get there.

There was a time that you managed without your boyfriend and you will again. Sometimes if you keep that in mind, it can help. And you do have supports. You have your therapist, I am here for you, and you have friends and family. Until you feel better, rely on everyone around you. They will understand.

Has your therapist diagnosed you yet regarding the stealing issue? If not, it is called kleptomania, which is stealing items that you do not need. It is a disorder that is thought to be caused by a lack of serotonin in the brain, so medications can help. Therapy is also one of the best options for treatment. It helps you address why you feel the need for the thrill of stealing and how you can work to reduce that need. You can also join support groups to share how others have been affected and to get some ideas on how to stop the impulse to steal.

http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Kleptomania/support-group

Talk with you soon,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.