Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

11 yr old son on 10mg abilify and 3mg Intuniv in am...very

11 yr old son on 10mg abilify and 3mg Intuniv in am...very aggitated,violent outbursts at times and bad h/a all afternoon to early eve
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Does he have Bipolar disorder?
Does he have any medical condition?
Is there a specific question I can assist you with?

Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, his diag. Is pdd nos, adhd, mood disorder.........he has not been diag. W bipolar as of yet. He is a high functioning autistic boy, smart, hyper, talks everything that comes to his mind, lately inappropriate things or negative talk to me afterschool for long periods, over focuses on whatever he is interested in at that time of day, very poor coping skill right now, does fairly well in school..less towards the end of the year, thinks of only his interests, but does show care to young kids and some adults, has a giving heart and is a boy scout and attends christian church. He wants to do dangerous experiments so I removed all sprays, gas and flamables. He would do well in automotive or fixing lawnmowers, if I could find someone to help w this. It is big, difficult projects for him...and he gets very frustrated and angry if he can't do them...or if it is just a normal day afterschool, or homework, or taking his brother to baseball. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
So, your son exhibits violent outbursts and agitated behavior. He may have trouble managing impulse at times due to PDD, ADHD and mood disorder.
It sounds like these medication are not helping his condition. Is that correct?
You may consult with his doctor for his current behavior.
His doctor may change these medication or an alternative treatment for him.
He is 11 year-old. He may be going through physical changes.
I would advise you to have him attend individual or group counseling weekly or biweekly where he can learn coping for anger and frustration and communication in your area.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Interested if respiridone could be helpful ...or any other combinations that have worked well for afternoon aggitation
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Please wait for a psychiatrist or a pediatrician to answer your question.