Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults

teen depression self destruction HELP Female age 15. Does not do school work, bad grades,

teen depression self destruction HELP Female age 15. Does not do school work, bad grades, no personal hygeine. self inflicks wounds Not happy over three years now.Had boyfriend at age 14 and he left her and she had a broken heart very bad.This is just one incident.She did not feel loved at home.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 2 years ago.

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your question. Before providing recommendations, I was wondering if you can tell me more about this teen? What is your relationship with her and when did these issues first started?

Brad The Therapist :

Have you considered having her attend therapy?

Customer:

Dear XXXXX: This all goes back when she was12. I am her grandmother.Her school work grades began falling then.She felt she was not loved enough. She has two older brothers. I saw she was sad many times. None of her teachers cared about her down on grades.She has parents at home, parents did not always do the right thing.Kept punishing her and yelling.

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your response. Do you feel your granddaughter is being abused by her parents?

Customer:

Brad: no they are not but they don't know how to handel situations with her, they just say your grounded and don't find out first what the problem is.They don't discuss the problem with her. I told this to my daughter.

Brad The Therapist :

I see, have you asked if they would try to get your granddaughter to therapy for the self-injurious behaviors?

Brad The Therapist :

Does your granddaughter confide in you?

Customer:

At this very moment she is in the hospital for behave problems. She was told that she is addicted to hurting herself and she will have to overcome this by herself. She is group theraphy. She is on anti-depressant. Past month she had seen a counsler in her city and nothing come of it.

Brad The Therapist :

I am happy to hear that she is in the hospital receiving the help she needs. If the counselor she saw was not effective, I suggest for her to find another therapist that would be a better fit. One of the reasons why she is having self-injurious behaviors is because this is giving her a sense of control when she does these behaviors. In addition, cutting also gives a sensation of relief (although it is only temporary.)

Brad The Therapist :

Here is a website with more information regarding this type of behaviors:

Brad The Therapist :

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/self_injury.htm

Customer:

Does she have to stop this by herself and will medication help her depression. Thank you

Brad The Therapist :

Medication can help but treatment is done through behavioral techniques through therapy

Brad The Therapist :

Medications only decreases current symptoms, but for her to maintain the behaviors, coping skills are needed in case she experiences a trigger to cut again

Customer:

Finding a good therapist is hard and it cost the family a lot of money.The hospital she is in is just for behavior problems, so we feel OK about that. She just lays around and does nothing there and her Mom said she looks like a zoombie.She has been there two days and today is three.

Brad The Therapist :

If you do not mind sharing, what city and state does your granddaughter reside in? Also, does she have private insurance?

Brad The Therapist :

I may be able to find a referral for you

Customer:

She lives in Warsaw, In and the big city by them is Ft. Wayne, In which is a big medical center. I would love if you could do that for us.

Brad The Therapist :

give me two minutes and I will get you a referral

Brad The Therapist :

Have you tried Park Center?

Brad The Therapist :

www.parkcenter.org

Customer:

That is where she maybe. Is it connected with Parkview Hospital in Ft.Wayne

Brad The Therapist :

it is not, actually

Customer:

Where is Park Center located at

Brad The Therapist :

park center is a private, nonprofit that offers outpatient services for adults and children

Brad The Therapist :

909 East State Boulevard
Fort Wayne, IN 46805
(260)(NNN) NNN-NNNNor toll free: 1-866-481-2700

Customer:

Is it in Ft. Wayne?

Brad The Therapist :

Parkview is a healthcare provide which is different from Park Center

Customer:

OK got the info, but the Father just has regular insurance from his company. Can I print out our conversation for myself and daughter

Brad The Therapist :

Yes, after you press the "accept" button, the transcript will be available of our conversation

Brad The Therapist :

also, Parkview may also provide referrals for outpatient services when your granddaughter is discharged

Brad The Therapist :

when she is being discharged, make sure the first appointment is already scheduled.

Brad The Therapist :

do you have any further questions?

Brad The Therapist :

Please let me know if you found me helpful

Customer:

Brad where are you?

Brad The Therapist :

I'm right here

Brad The Therapist :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

Brad, just one more question, you said she gets a "sensation of relief"

Brad The Therapist :

Yes, that could be one of many reasons for self-injurious behaviors

Customer:

Brad: One more question. you said she get a "sensation of releif" could you explain this. When she cuts it hurts.

Brad The Therapist :

You mean it hurts her physically, correct?

Brad The Therapist :

Yes, the sensation of relief can be described similarly to a kettle with water. When you boil the water, it becomes steam and the steam pours out of the kettle. Well, when one feels overwhelmed with feelings, this person may not know what to do the internal "boiling that is occurring, thus, by cutting oneself, it provides a sense of relief

Brad The Therapist :

When one is feeling emotionally overhwhelmed, they do not know how they feel so the cutting sensations allows them to "feel" something...be it pain

Brad The Therapist :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

Thank you so much for the explanation. To me that is mental trouble. My family all have depression and now my daughter's children. Brad you were a great help and I appreciate your answers. I wish you good luck and peace be with you. LILLIE

Brad The Therapist :

I wish you and your family all the best!!!!

Brad The Therapist :

Please consider pressing the "accept" button for me to receive credit for this post.

Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults