Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

ive had bipolar since i was 14 and had bipolar type2 rapid

Customer Question

i've had bipolar since i was 14 and had bipolar type2 rapid cycling. Although some of the lows have been horrendous to the point i burned myself so badly i had to have a skin graft and i'm covered in scars because i always knew in the back of my mind that it woulndnt be too long til i was up again This time however i hav gone so low i can hardly function. I haven't washed or even changed my clothes for 2 months. I'm on lyrica 600mg prozac 60mg valium 10mg and zolpidem 30mg. I had 6 weeks when i was "up" last year and the rest of the time i've been very low. When i am "well" i function extremely well, socialise, arnswer the phone,visit friends etc however, this low is the worst and longest i've ever been so low. i buy meds online too which i know is wrong but they stop me from killing myself. My house looks like i've been burgled to the point that environmental health are coming out on monday to assess my living conditions. I have been in my local psych ward numerous times but it's an acute ward so they get you in and out asap. most days i wish i was dead and have taken numerous overdoses but never seek medical help cause at that point i don't want help, i want to die. I'm 34 now and been living with this condition for 20 years and i don't know how much more i can take. i basically wake up, self medicate myself through the day and finally fall asleep from crying so much i've exhausted myself. My psychiatrist has called a meeting with him,me,a social worker i;ve never met in my life, a cpn (who i haven't seen for a year because of supposed government health cuts) and a mental health advocate. i know the danger i am to myself and if i'm honest i feel like i should be in a longterm mental health unit or at the very least supported accomodation. I know doctors are all for "care in the community" but i don't think that's the answer for me. 'Right now i feel i need 24/7 care because who's going to be there at 3am when i cant sleep from anxiety and want to self harm etc. There are days where i literally have one hand full of maltesers and the other full of pills and i can't decide which ones to eat!! My anxiety levels are to the point i actually lose control of my bowels. Is there anything i can say to make them go in the direction of a mental health unit? From what i'm saying do i seem bad enough to be in a unit rather than at home with people coming once a week to make sure i'm not dead! Even today i took 10x50mg diphenhydramine cause i want to be asleep. I'm safe when i'm asleep. They didn'r work though and i had an hour of feeling a bit strange and then felt normal again. Is there anything i can say at the meeting to encourage them to go for the menral healrh unit??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is important that you let them know the extent of your symptoms. If you feel safe only when you sleep, that is a sign that you fear hurting yourself. Also, you are medicating throughout the day and crying a lot. That is a sign that you are not coping well. The best points to make are those two plus:

Your anxiety is high enough that you are losing control of your bowels.

Your living conditions have greatly deteriorated

You are feeling suicidal (whether or not you have a plan is important to note as well- you need immediate help if you feel in danger of hurting yourself)

You are having others check on you frequently because of your condition.

The main ideas to get across is that you are getting worse and that you are not able to function well. Being admitted for at least a medication check (your medications don't seem to be helping you at all) is needed.

I hope this has helped,

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
felt it wasn't very thorough or really answered my question
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Expert:  Suzanne replied 2 years ago.

Yes, your symptoms do seem severe enough to warrant 24 hour care. The fact that you lose bowel control from anxiety, over-medicate with thoughts of self-harm, and are no longer able to care for your living environment should be enough to convince them that more help is needed.

However, it's important to realize that the recession and budget cuts play a big role in what care is available. If they will not approve long-term hospitalization due to the costs, then request that they provide 24 hour care in another form, such as an assisted living facility or group home.

Take a written list of your symptoms with you to the meeting. Get a copy of the report from the environmental health inspector and bring that as well. If you can't get a copy, take photos of your environment. Treat the meeting as if you are "presenting evidence."

On another note, please do not take more benedryl (diphenhydramine) than was prescribed. It can have negative effects on your liver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenhydramine

Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience: LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you online for me to ask you something as a found your advice very reassuring and honest.If theres a way to let me know when you are online then please let me know. Thank you
Expert:  Suzanne replied 2 years ago.

I'm online this morning (It's about 8am here), and would be happy to answer your question.

Suzanne