How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ask Eleanor Your Own Question
Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1517
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist/Prof. Counselor for 20 years
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ask Eleanor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you get someone to get mental health help if they refuse

Customer Question

How do you get someone to get mental health help if they refuse to do it themselves?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Jean replied 5 years ago.
Hello this is Jean I would like to try and assist you. What is the age of the person?
Expert:  Jean replied 5 years ago.
Could you give me a bit more information please to better understand the situation? Thanks,
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I am here for you and am happy to respond. You cannot force someone to get mental health help unless you are their parent/legal guardian and they are under 18 years of age. The only exception would be if the person was a threat to themselves or someone else, suicidal or homicidal. What you can do is continue to gently encourage that the person seek help from a mental health professional. If this is a family member or significant other there is another therapy option - couples or family therapy. .....continuing answer......


Often if you are willing to go with the person, they are more likely to agree to seeing someone for a mental health problem. Also, if you have resources at hand when you talk with them, name $ # XXXXX therapist, they will know that you care enough to have done some work on this and are serious. You may go to or to search for mental health professionals where you/this person live.

Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 5 years ago.

I know it is very, very difficult to know that someone needs help and they will not agree. I certainly hope this information is helpful to you. I wish healing for this person and all the best to you, take care, Eleanor



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Please remember to CLICK ON THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON even if you have made a deposit. This is the only way I will receive credit from Just Answer for my professional time and response. You may return to this answer for reference at any time after you accept. YOUR POSITIVE FEEDBACK WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. I would welcome any future questions from you; simply put my name at the beginning and it will be directed to me. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!