Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

"Kate" I will need more of your expert recommendations on

"Kate" I will need more of your expert recommendations on several books in the following categories. If I could please have three of your top book recommendations in each of the categories. "happiness" an all in one guide that will help me to find happiness and to be happy in workplace and in life. Books on "anger management" so I will not act out on anger and keep my cool under pressure. Books that will help on being a "sensitive person". I feel I am too sensitive and also take things the wrong way, so books that will help me to become a stronger person and not be so overly sensitive. Your book recommendations on "positive thinking" and "emotional healing". These two areas I will also need your top book choices. Book recommendations on "shyness and social anxiety". I am a shy person, books that will help give me the courage to get out more to meet people and not be afraid of trying new things. All I seem to do is go to work nights and stay inside most of the time during the day. I do not have a social life, so I will need help on overcoming shyness and getting a social life. Books on "dealing with conflict and confrontation". Is the gentle art of verbal self defense at work by Suzette Elgin be a book you would recommend in this category? The last category is "people skills" being nice in the work place. This is a lot of categories as I have searched many books but need your expert book recommendations as I feel I will be missing out on many great books without your top recommendations in all of these categories. I would like to order books from all of these categories so I will have a nice mix. Thank you for all of your help in these categories.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's good to talk with you again.

Here is a list of the books I'd recommend for you:

Happiness:

Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill by Matthieu Ricard and Daniel Goleman

The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work by Shawn Achor

Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Todd Gilbert

Anger Management:

The Gift of Anger: Seven Steps to Uncover the Meaning of Anger and Gain Awareness, True Strength, and Peace by Marcia G. Cannon

The Anger Trap: Free Yourself from the Frustrations that Sabotage Your Life by Les Carter and Frank Minirth

Transforming Anger: The Heartmath Solution for Letting Go of Rage, Frustration, and Irritation by Doc Childre, Deborah Rozman and Matthew McKay

Beyond Anger: A Guide for Men: How to Free Yourself from the Grip of Anger and Get More Out of Life by Thomas J. Harbin (Mar 27, 2000)

Sensitivity:

The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N. Aron

Making Work Work for the Highly Sensitive Person by Barrie Jaeger

Positive Thinking, Emotional Healing, Conflict, People skills and Shyness/Social Anxiety:

People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts by Robert Bolton

A Life Less Anxious: Freedom from panic attacks and social anxiety without drugs or therapy by Steve Pavilanis and Patricia Alma

The Power of Positive Thinking. Norman Vincent Peale by Norman Vincent Peale

Beyond Positive Thinking: A No-Nonsense Formula for Getting the Results You Want by Robert Anthony and Joe Vitale

Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself from Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life by Judith Orloff

Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame by Beverly Engel

The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict by Arbinger Institute

The Hard Truth About Soft Skills: Workplace Lessons Smart People Wish They'd Learned Sooner by Peggy Klaus

The book by Suzette Elgin is a good one as well. She has written several about the same kinds of topics that you might find to be helpful with your situation.

I hope this helps,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.