Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

I cannot focus on my study...Im really upset about it and

I cannot focus on my study...I'm really upset about it and I'm worried but I just can't focus I don't know why...I think about useless stuff all the time and I can't control myself...
please help me
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Are you under stress lately?
Have you ever had this concentration issue?

Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I guess I am under stress...just being so afraid that I will fail or getting low grades in all my classes. And it's getting to the finals...I'm a junior in University
I used to have this issue but not as severe in my sophomore year but it didn't affect me so much as I could still handle my school stuff even if I wasn't 100% focusing on it
now it's like i feel I'm getting crazy
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
It sounds like you are dealing with study stress or test anxiety.
It's common for college students to experience this type of anxiety.
Anxiety may cause difficulty focusing.
You may have mild depression or anxiety.
But, that may be temporal.
If you have had attention problems since childhood, you might have ADD/ADHD.
In any case, I would advise you to see a counselor at a university counseling center and/or your primary care doctor for a physical check-up to rule out any medical condition that may affect your mood and attention.
I assume counseling may help you to relieve your study stress.
Try counseling for a few session at your university counseling center first.

You may also try stress reduction techniques and Cognitive-behavior therapy if your condition persists.
If there is no counseling center in your college,
you may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly in your area. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime. Get plenty of calcium and vitamin D in food or supplements.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your attention.

Other recommendations are:
Avoid use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Spend time in nature weekly
Try to have pleasurable activities with friends and family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.

I hope you overcome your study anxiety with all available help.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,