Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

i feel awful at night. i am always sad and anxious, i have

Customer Question

i feel awful at night. i am always sad and anxious, i have suffered from depression as long as i can remember and i also have a mood disorder and extreme anxiety. i had an abortion a few year ago and it's coming back to me and it's all i think about but at night it gets unbearable. all i want to do is cut or rip my hair out or hurt myself
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Do you have a major trauma in the past?
Weekly counseling and medication are helping you so far?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i lost 7 seven close relatives within a 5 year period, one of them being my grandfather who i was incredibly close with. he was my best friend. i also have had many concussions and am suffering with one right now. counseling and medication works but only for so much. i've been dealing with my mom thinking i'm a drug addict when i don't even do drugs and a boyfriend who has substance absue issues. i would say the most traumatic things that have happened to me were the loss of my family members and the abortion i had got a few years ago. i just don't know what to do anymore. i constantly feel like i need to hurt myself to forget about all the pain and i feel like i'm going to end up turning to something else to relieve the pain and i'm scared of what that might be
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
I can imagine how sad and anxious you must be feeling about this situation.
It sounds like you have had mood disorder such as depression and anxiety. Perhaps, you may have been vulnerable to depression since childhood.
You have been under lots of stress - you stated you've lost 7 close family members for the past five years. Also, you got pregnant and had an abortion. This is a very very difficult situation.
I wonder if you have family support now.
Definitely, you have difficulty managing overwhelming emotions (pain) especially at night when you are alone or before going to bed.
This is common for people with depression and anxiety to get more anxious when they go to bed and try to sleep at night.
Ideally, you shouldn't be alone.
You should be with your family member.
If that's not possible, you may call your friends or family (or your therapist) when you feel really sad and anxious at night.

You may need to stick with treatment - individual and group therapy in inpatient or outpatient settings.

You may benefit from Dialectical-Behavior therapy (DBT) or Psychodynamic therapy to manage your overwhelming emotion.

If you want to hurt yourself, you may contact your family and go to an emergency room of a local hospital. If you are in crisis now, seek help immediately. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24 hour crisis center or dial 911 for immediate assistance.

I hope you stick to ongoing treatment. You may need ongoing support and advice from a psychotherapist, your doctor and/or a support group.
You are only 20 year old. Don't give up hope.

Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. Warm regards,

Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there
Do you have a question?

P.S. Please remember to click the green ACCEPT button. You do not get charged twice; I will continue to answer your question whenever I am back online; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Olsen" in the front of your new question. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX