Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

My Grandson aged 20+, at University, has just had an episode

Customer Question

My Grandson aged 20+, at University, has just had an episode of self harming, to the extent that he took 90 paracetamol tablets and was not found for 12 hours.
we are now fighting the damage caused by the tablets, just having reached the stage where the bloods are not getting worse.
He does not want to live anymore.
This all happened very quickly, his housemates saw no signs the day before.
They found him and got him to hospital.
He is now in a specialist liver unit.
What can the family do to help this desperate young soul?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.

Heidi LPC :

Good Morning... I am so very sorry for this situation... it sounds very serious at this moment, and hopefully the hospital will take the very best care of him...

Heidi LPC :

You asked what the family can do to support him, and that is the best answer right now: to just support him. Fortunately, he is in a place where he will be cared for as he recovers... and as he does, the staff will provide the mental health care that he so seriously needs.

Heidi LPC :

It isn't unusual for young people to reach a point of frustration and need outside intervention to deal with the stress of life, or some extenuating circumstance that they may be facing... he just needs the proper support by loved ones and training in new ways to manage the despair and depression that he is facing.

Heidi LPC :

As you say he is still in a critical stage of recovery, the best answer I can give at this moment is to stay with him as the story unfolds of why he made the choice that he did. And take good care of yourself and the rest of the family while you face this terribly worrisome situation.

Customer:

The worry that I have is that, in caring for him, my daughter will become exhausted, my granddaughter will be so distressed in her A level studies, and my grandson will STILL not want to be alive!

Heidi LPC :

A very real concern... it will be very valuable to take shifts and be sure that everyone knows that he is in good hands right now, and to be sure to try to eat properly and try to sleep and just be gentle with yourselves as you slowly make sense of this. The answers will become clearer in time, as will the proper treatment. This is very difficult, no doubt... he is lucky to have such a supportive family to help him through.

Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor