Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

is there anything wrong with me? Im in my late fifties (divorced

is there anything wrong with me? I'm in my late fifties (divorced with two kids out of the house) and have a very busy enjoyable career. I do have many girlfriends and work out 3X a week - driving sometimes with a friend to the gym. But when the week-ends come, I didn't plan ahead to make plans, find that I stay in both Fri. and Sat. nights -- but I'm happy. Trying to do the online dating, but wonder how I can be content when my social life is bleak on weekends? I know I should get out more. what do you think?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 5 years ago.

Heidi LPC :

Hi there!! I am hoping to be of some assistance to you this evening!!

Heidi LPC :

First off, I would say emphatically... there is nothing wrong with you!!!

Heidi LPC :

You said yourself that you are happy--- and with such a busy weekday life, having some peaceful time to rest and recharge, quietly, without any demands... sounds like a perfect balance to me!! Are you possibly comparing your life to someone else's, or to an ideal that you feel you "should" be meeting?

Heidi LPC :

It looks as if you are temporarily offline... I would be happy to chat further if you'd like to; otherwise, my advice is simply: If you are content, enjoy it! If there is something you would prefer to be doing, do that. But you've reached the point in life where there is no "right" way to live--- it is all about doing the things you want to and that make you happy, and you have gained the absolute right to be just who you are! Even if being at home on a Saturday night is the answer! (And, p.s.... I'm right there with you, and happy as can be!!!) LOL!!!

Heidi LPC :

Take good care!! I'll check back to see if you have any further questions!!

Customer:

Heidi,

Customer:

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I think I am comparing my life to what I think it should be... should be in a relationship, going out with friends... which I do occasionally... I will pursue online dating... though I have to push myself.. anyway I came across this site and really enjoyed reading it all...and then decided to use it. I feel sometimes that others wonder if I am lonely or something... need to not worry about that, they can see I'm an upbeat person. Thanks again.

Heidi LPC :

It's a funny thing, those "shoulds" and "musts" we have in our minds sometimes!! There is no reason at all to live according to them anymore!! Enjoy your peaceful evening, and come back anytime!! :-)