Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

Module 1 – Stakeholders and Their Influence 1. Identify stakeholders

Module 1 – Stakeholders and Their Influence
1. Identify stakeholders in mental health (people or groups with an interest in defining
and/or responding to people with mental health problems) and describe their influence

2. Describe how different stakeholders influence perceptions of mental ill health and how
we respond to people with mental health problems.

3. Identify how my own understanding of mental health has developed.

4. Describe the effects of stigma and discrimination on people with mental health
problems.

5. Describe how groups already subject to discrimination may be doubly discriminated
against in the mental health system.

6. Describe the dominant western psychiatric system of classification and critically
evaluate it in terms of anti-oppressive practice
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

all the information i sent to you is all i needed for now i will keep posting more question as soon as i get my question answer in a proper way. i dont mind you starting with table of content with references at the end. thank you.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

still waiting for the right answer thank you.

Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 4 years ago.

Hi there!! I am offering a bit of an answer; I hope you find it useful to you!!

and/or responding to people with mental health problems) and describe their influence: I would say their families, themselves, and those in the field of education, psychology & medicine who attempt to help them.
we respond to people with mental health problems: There must be advocates for the mentally ill and when the advocacy is done well, the perceptions become more realistic. Generally speaking, those who are uneducated in regards XXXXX XXXXX illness are less supportive and accepting, whereas those with family members who are struggling with it or those in the field of psychiatry & psychology understand it better.

3. Identify how my own understanding of mental health has developed.... This one is up to you!!!!

problems: The stigma is that these patients are "strange" or "crazy" and unable to contribute to society, and should just be locked up... they have difficulty finding work, getting into relationships and just functioning in society. They are discriminated against in many cases by not being given the opportunity to prove that they can work and function... and therefore, in many cases, have difficulty getting the proper healthcare treatment due to either financial constraints or having no one to advocate for their treatment when they are unable to do so themselves.

against in the mental health system: They aren't taken seriously, their concerns are slighted, they are sometimes given less than appropriate treatment due to their own inability to understand what is happening. The social services are under-funded in many cases, and so these people wait long periods of time for help and then don't always get the proper treatment.

evaluate it in terms of anti-oppressive practice: We use the DSM-IV to categorically place diagnosis into categories. This gives an anti-biased approach to all who practice, and the diagnoses can be clearly understood by all.

I have done the best that I can here without using your textbook & references; I hope that you found this helpful to you!! Good luck with your continued studies!

Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor