Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

My 21 yr old son is addicted to drugs.

My 21 yr old son is addicted to drugs. mostly shoots up heroin and meth. he has been to rehab. But in rehab he seemed to like it. he thought it was a joke and was having sex with a girl that was also in rehab. I dont feel rehab helps him. He has been to jail 3 times for stealing. We dont give him money and he doesnt have a job. He sells drugs to get his money and drugs. I dont know what to do. Every day we are afraid he will die from an overdose. He has over dosed once and almost died. But that hasnt stopped him.

Heidi LPC :

Good Morning; I hope to be of some assistance to you this morning... I am truly so very sorry for the situation you are in with your son...

Customer:

Thanks

Heidi LPC :

Has he ever been willing to be treated for depression as an option, or have you already been through the mental health route?

Customer:

We have not tried that route. But sounds like a good idea.

Heidi LPC :

Generally speaking, many people who become addicted are self-medicating a depression at first... of course, not knowing your son, I can't say if that is a fact. I'm also not sure how receptive he is to your guidance; is he still in touch, and does he trust that you truly care & want to help? Or is he resistant to your advice?

Customer:

Not sure if depression started the drug use. He was working and going to college 1 yr ago. Then the drug use started and he went down hill fast. Quit school and his job. Once he tried the shooting up , that he been his biggest problem. He has never seemed like a depressed child. He knows we care and want to help him but i feel that that in his mind the drugs come first and he cant stop.

Customer:

He would probably do the counseling to please us. But not sure if he would be honest in counseling because in his mind he wants to do the drugs.

Heidi LPC :

I am wondering if he was able to connect with a therapist in your area, someone who he could look up to and respect, that maybe he could gather up the strength he needs to stop, and quite possibly help get the physical symptoms under control? This is one of the toughest addictions to deal with, but it isn't impossible. If he is willing to go, I say get in touch with someone good--- someone who has years of experience and a plan; check around a bit, and don't settle for the first place that you find. You have an advantage if he is actually willing to try it; so many families just lose touch with their kids and cannot help because the child won't let them.

Heidi LPC :

Don't give up... and there are different rehab facilities to try, as well... it may take a few tries to get this done.

Customer:

Good advice. I will do that. We will do anything to save his life. He lives with us and didnt come home last night, which happens often. So we wonder if he is okay. I appreciate your answer . Will give it a try.