David Akiva
David Akiva, BA, MA,
Experience:  Counselor; Behavioral Consultant
57833540

Help!!!! Im a 72 yr old great grandmother who is extremely

Help!!!! I'm a 72 yr old great grandmother who is extremely concerned about my 21 year old grandson. The family does not know how to help him anymore. We DO NOT want to appear on the shoe but we need help in finding some one for him to talk to. Please tell us if you can help.
Thank you, [email protected]
Dorothy

DuddyH :

Welcome, I'm a professional counselor and behavioral-consultant. I'd like to chat with you for a few moments to better understand your question and the situation you're describing.

Customer:

Sooo how are we going to do that?

DuddyH :

Well we just chat back and forth here. is that ok?

Customer:

yes, I will do my best.

DuddyH :

Thank you very much. Now, would you mind telling me what the problem is that you're describing about your grandson?

DuddyH :

What does he need help with?

Customer:

He is 21 and has been to two universities, now enrolled in cooking school, been on three jobs and have walked away from all of this. What is wrong that he will not take responsibility for his own life.

DuddyH :

It's very hard to say without really getting to know him. In my experience as counselor, there are literally hundreds of different reasons that a person does not hold down a job or complete university courses. For example, ADHD can be a real problem, where a person is unable to concentrate on certain tasks. In other cases there could be emotional issues like depression.

DuddyH :

How is he doing at cooking school?

DuddyH :

or did he also leave cooking school?

Customer:

He has been there for a week and did well last week but, has missed two days this week. This young man is brilliant, not saying this because he is my grandson, but he really is. I believe he is suffering from depression and has to do with a sexuality situation.

DuddyH :

Well it may be very helpful to get him to counseling so that he can undergo proper depression screening and clinical interviewing to find out what the problem really is. There are many excellent "evidence-based" counseling approaches that can help with both depression and sexual issues....

DuddyH :

For example, he may really benifit from what's called "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy" or CBT- Let me get you a good link that explains what I mean by CBT...back in a few moments...

DuddyH :

Does he have insurance or is there insurance or money to pay for counseling? Do his parents have an EAP program at work?

DuddyH :

Most people don't realize that there is free counseling through most companies EAP programs. Many will allow work with kids into their 20s. This would enable depression screening, risk assessment and at least get a very clear definition of the problem.

DuddyH :

Once he knows what the clinical problem is he can get the best available counseling for that precise problem.

Customer:

She does have EAP. Thanks for the information and I will pass it on to his mother.

DuddyH :

No problem. Most EAP's like Warren Shepell have amazing short term solution focused counseling, in person, by phone and even online. And you can get access the same day!

DuddyH :

It's great that you are taking a pro-active role to help your grandson, and in so doing, your family.

Customer:

Thank you so much and I'm very grateful for your help and I will follow up using the information you have supplied. This chat has been very helpful.

DuddyH :

You are most welcome. And I wish you and your family the very best. Please don't forget to press the green "Accept Button" if you are satisfied with my answer and I would love a short sentence of customer feedback in the quick form that is provided you at sign out.

Customer:

Can this info be printed?

DuddyH :

Yes once you do press the green accept button you can print out the chat exchange we've shared today. I also believe you can e-mail a copy to your self, by pressing a button to do so.

Customer:

Thanks!

DuddyH :

You're welcome. Take care!

Hello, we chatted on JustAnswer.com the other day. I just wanted to follow up and see if the answer I provided was helpful to you.