Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

How do I get help when I cant go in because I worry to much

Customer Question

How do I get help when I cant go in because I worry to much about the pink slip rule? It seems a catch-22 that leaves me with no recourse for help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!! I see that you have been waiting for an answer, and I'd like to try to help you... I'm wondering if you can provide me with a bit more information? It sounds like you are saying that when you are ill and cannot report to work, you worry even more than is necessary about being fired? Is this the issue? I will await your reply!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I apologize I didnt add more in the original question. I did not miss work. For a while I have know I should probably see a mental health Psychologist or Psychiatrist. I am becoming more prone to outbursts when, more apt to be sad enough that I cant help my eyes tearing up, a lot. I no longer communicate with anyone outside of work and on and on. I have been meaning to set up an appointment with a professional but can't bring myself to do it. I ran into an episode a few days ago so I decided I would go to the Insta-Clinic here in town and ask if I could get a referal. They were worried and said I should go to the emergency room, it came out that if I didnt do it myself, they would try to force me. I just walked out but then they sent the police to my house. Luckily I was calm when they showed up and told them there was nothing to worry about so they left. I did stop by the emergency room that night but asked that I get some assurance that I wouldnt be forced to stay and they would not admit me because of my instance. It seems that if I am admitted to the crisis center at the hostipal or even go into a regular outpatient or see a professional they can have me commited for a minimum of 72 hours.
Now that I know this I cant go in anywhere for help. I seem to be in a small minority an example is years ago when I got a cast for a broken wrist I had to call them the next day saying I had to have it taken off, the simple fact I couldnt stand having it on and not being able to take it off. Being committed against my will even if they thought I was a danger to myself is something that would be worse than death to me. So its a catch-22. Not to mention the only thing left in life that I can do is work. If I was commited it puts my job in jepordy. To me I could possibly lose my house, and I pay for my brother and his wife and kids house. I dont want to jepordize that even though by not taking care of these issues I am probably jepordizing it further down the road any way. So I am trying to figure out any way around this apparent no win situation to myself.
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.

OK.... I think I understand better now... thank you for the clarification!!

I want you to know that if you are feeling depressed or anxious, that there are people who can help you through regular office hours; such as a counselor, a psychotherapist, someone who takes appointments outside of work hours. When you go to these clinics or the ER, and you are crying and sad and depressed and anxious, all they can do is call an ambulance and hospitalize you, as there are no staff in these places to work with you in that capacity. If you call a local counseling office and ask for an appointment, the treatment is done on an out-patient basis... so no worries!! Depression is a common thing; there are some great treatments and medications that will have you feeling better than you've felt in awhile! However, if you are feeling suicidal, of course a more intensive treatment must be used, so if this is what is going on, please take care of yourself and agree to the help. Either way, this can be resolved; proof is out there! You can work with your chosen professional to find some treatment that will work... so don't go on suffering any longer. First thing tomorrow, call a counseling agency near you and make the appointment. You deserve to take good care of yourself!! If you had a disease of the body, you wouldn't wait to get treatment, so don't think that your emotional/mental health is any less important. Let me know how it goes! This chat will remain in the my questions tab at the top of your screen so that you can access it, or me, again at any point. I will be waiting to hear good news!! :-)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for trying. I understand what you are saying, but for me the simple fact that they can hold me against my will
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hit the reply button with out meaning to. I was saying that I appreciate your help and trying, but as long as they can possibly hold me against my will makes it so I feel I can not chance it so I won't. Based on them already sending the police to chase me down reinforces my thinking even though I could be wrong. Its possible its a more than depression or anxiety, and the cutting seems to worry some of them. I can't chance running into someone who will think they are protecting me when really they end up making it worse. I knew this was a long shot, and there is probably no solution. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.

Ok... so you are cutting? We can talk about this here; this is something that I can offer suggestions for! It is up to you--- do you want to discuss this particular issue? If so, I am here!

Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.
I think my second reply disappeared! What I said was that any clinic or ER must have you sent to the hospital if you appear to be in danger of hurting yourself or others. However, therapists in private practice see people who self-harm on a regular basis and provide anti-depressant treatment through medication or psychodynamic counseling. By making an appointment for a session, and disclosing this in a therapist's office, it is completely different than showing up at a clinic asking for counseling. Those type of places aren't equipped to handle mental health issues, and just send people to the hospital. Don't go there anymore; call a local counseling agency for an appointment, and just tell them you are depressed and go from there. Trust me. It is a totally different situation in a therapists office! Please trust me... it is worth it to get it resolved!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sadly even a private practice can have me committed. It really is a no win for me unless I can get over the possibility of thinking I might be committed. I am used to the pain, so its not a problem. Take care and have a good day. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.

It sounds like you have convinced yourself that there is no help available, and I know for a fact that this isn't a fact... and you don't have to suffer. Cutting is just a way of getting the body to release natural pain-killing chemicals into the bloodstream, and you can easily get on an antidepressant which will solve the problem. You don't have to tell the therapist that you are self-harming until if and when you feel safe to do so. Just disclose the depression to start with, and get some suggestions for managing it. There is no reason to commit someone for simple depression... and you will find that I am correct on this if you take the advice. I wish you all the best and hope you choose to make that call tomorrow.

Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for accepting the answer; it will mean even more to me if you follow up and make that call!!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Please let me know how things work out... and take good care of yourself in the meantime!!