Louise Brady
Louise Brady, Registered Nurse
Experience:  Registered Mental Health Nurse

have not taken ultram for 3 days am trying to get off it I

have not taken ultram for 3 days am trying to get off it I feel terrible should i take it or just keep going
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Louise Brady replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a qualified Mental Health Nurse and would be happy to help with your question.

Generally it is not recommended that you just stop taking Ultram, dependency can be an issue with any opiate based pain killer and physical withdrawal can be an extremely unpleasant experience, this is associated with the effect on serotonin levels and norepinephrine re-uptake.
It really is dependent on the dose and how long you have been taking Ultram for, the longer you have been taking it for the greater the risk of withdrawal syndrome.
Normally a reduction in the dose would be preferable to just completely stopping, Ultram withdrawal tends to last longer than other opioid's with the acute symptoms normally lasting for around 7 days.
If you are finding the symptoms are too much to cope with then it may be worth considering restarting at a low dose and gradually titrating this downwards.
Any changes really should be done at the advise of your physician.

Please press accept, I am happy to answer any further questions.