Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

My daughter is about to send her 16 yr. daughter to a Christian

My daughter is about to send her 16 yr. daughter to a Christian Boarding school in Ind. There is nothing wrong with the child, just a normal teenager. I believe my daughter is the one who needs help. What can we do??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 4 years ago.

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your question. I can see the strife this situation is causing you. Please tell me more about your concerns regarding your granddaughter going to a Christian boarding school. What do you think will happen? After your response, I will provide suggestions for you.

Customer:

I have no idea what this place night be like. I have heard horrible stories about some of these schools. The girls pschiatrist told her not to send her. They are planning to take her on Tues. morn. Two ladies are coming to get her. She will be terrified.

Customer:

Do you have any answers for me?

Brad The Therapist :

Unfortunately, there is nothing more you can do because legally your daughter has the right to make decisions for your granddaughter. The one exception to this is if you feel your daughter is abusing (physically or emotionally) towards your granddaughter. Do you feel your granddaughter's safety is in danger? Also, have you reached out to your granddaughter about this?

Customer:

I have no way to get in touch with her. They have her in s private mental ward right now.and we do not have access to her.She shouldn't even be there. They are taking her from there to indiana. I'm at my wits end, We just don't know which way to turn.I'm afraid my granddaughter will hurt herself with all this, I know she is scared to death.

Brad The Therapist :

May I asked how she was placed on a psychiatric unit

Brad The Therapist :

I may be able to help you more if I have this information.