Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

feelings of Depression but happy?

Im 18 years old and go through weeks of feeling depressed and self hate, sometimes resulting in self harm but then i have the odd day of being really happy but doing reckless acts like drugs. im worried about this but dont want to get help as i dont understand what would happen. i know this is brief but any help would be much appreciated.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 4 years ago.

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your post. Before providing suggestions, I have a few questions for you. How has these symptoms affect you day-to-day? Does it affect your relationships with family/friends, does it affect you in completing your obligations?

Customer:

i have a really bad relationship with my parents because this and my school work is suffering although i can hold a part time job for my income

Brad The Therapist :

When did these symptoms first start?

Brad The Therapist :

what was happening in your life during this time?

Customer:

this has been going on since i was 11 and has been getting worse as ive got older

Brad The Therapist :

What was going on in your life at age 11?

Customer:

secondary school really and whenvever i had exams i would be really stressed out by the time i got to 15 and i had a breakdown at school where i lied and denied that i self harmed that was when it was at its worse

Brad The Therapist :

I see...do you know if there is a family history of Bipolar Disorder?

Brad The Therapist :

My suggestion for you is to see a therapist or a psychiatrist as you may be experiencing symptoms of Bipolar disorder. Although I am not able to make such a diagnosis through this forum, your current struggles warrants a visit,

Brad The Therapist :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer:

i dont know really i dont think so, do you know what would happen seeing a therapist? as i have seen a school councellor but that ended badly and dont want that again.

Brad The Therapist :

when seeing a therapist, you will learn coping skills to deal with the depression and impulsiveness you may experience

Brad The Therapist :

In addition, you may learn more about this diagnosis and ways to resolve relational issues with your parents

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX really helpful

Brad The Therapist :

You are very welcom.

Brad The Therapist :

I wish you all the best.

Brad The Therapist :

please consider pressing the 'accept" button for me to receive credit