Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

My partner has made an attempt to kill himself 2 months ago.

My partner has made an attempt to kill himself 2 months ago. he cut his own throat at both sides of his neck. He was very lucky being found in time.He was discharged from hospital after 2 weeks and is currently staying at his mothers house. i visitied him 3 weeks ago and it went quite well. When i left he told me I was his reason to wanting to recover. A few days after that he stoppped getting in touch, he won't answer texts and is generally very withdrwan, anxious and quiet. I am trying to gian an understandng what the best course of action is for me - do I kee texting him with little messages of support, am I better to back off and give hm ome space? he is on various medication and sleeping tablets but I am not sure which.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 2 years ago.

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your question. Before providing suggestions, I have a few questions about your partner. Please tell me more about him. Has he shown signs of depression in the past? Is this his first attempt? How was he found?

Customer:

Brad The Therapist :

hello

Customer:

David had a period of depression in 2010 which lasted about a year. He has not made an attempt like this before, but go as far as climbing up a tree with a rope which he put around his neck.But he didn't jump

Brad The Therapist :

what was happening in his life during 2010?

Customer:

David has also a long history of substance abuse, i.e. marihuana and alcohol. 4 weeks before his attempt he quit both substances cold turkey

Brad The Therapist :

I see...this makes sense...now after his recent attempt, he stopped contacting you after your visit? Is that correct?

Brad The Therapist :

How often have you tried to get in contact with him at this point?

Customer:

yes. he called me the evening of the visit, the next day, than a few texts and nothing since

Customer:

I've texted him almost every day, telling him what was going on, little episodes, how his animlas were and sometimes just general encouraging quotes

Customer:

about 15 times

Brad The Therapist :

and he hasn't responded at all...have you tried contacting his mother?

Customer:

yes and his mother is keeping me updtaed on his progress which is very slow but steady.small steps

Brad The Therapist :

Yes, when someone is depressed, one may feel shame and isolative, not wanting to be in touch with others. My suggestion for you is to inform your partner and his mother of your whole-hearted support for him and that you may be available for whatever they may need.

Brad The Therapist :

Ask the mother if she feels a visit by you may be helpful for him, you should pay him a visit.

Customer:

I've already done that but she said she can't really decide for david...

Brad The Therapist :

I urge you to limit the texting to once a day to show your support

Brad The Therapist :

but not to overwhelm him

Brad The Therapist :

If his mother can't decide for david, does she have concerns for his wellbeing at this point?

Customer:

That's what I'm doing as well. Haven't texted for 3 days now just to give him some space.

Customer:

No, she doens't have concerns I think for his physical wellbeing, he is eating well and seems to finally be able to sleep

Brad The Therapist :

Good, I believe texting once a day will be fine. I would continue to let him know that you will be there for him until you feel that the lack of contact is frustrating you and your patience is being tested.

Brad The Therapist :

How long have you been with david?

Customer:

about 6 month. It was very intense wiht a lot of talking and getting to know each other. we both felt that this is it, we are meant for each other. I am reaching that point of frustration and am really seeking an understanding if I am doing the right thing..and how long a period like this can last in order for me to decide if i can cope..

Customer:

I will not leave him but this waiting is driving me up the walls

Brad The Therapist :

I completely understand your frustration...I can see how it can be testing your patience.

Brad The Therapist :

You mention that David had past substance abuse issues...typically, one uses drugs to fill a void in one's life.

Brad The Therapist :

once the addiction stops, the void returns, which may help explain his attempt

Brad The Therapist :

Other than medications, is David in therapy?

Customer:

he said to me he quit it because he wanted to be a better man for me. Re therapy, I think he has a councellor appointement in a few weeks.It's difficult here in ireland when one is not privately insured and the waiting list is long

Brad The Therapist :

Yes, I completely understand...I believe the counseling appointment will do David good as he will find ways to deal with this void that he has in life.

Brad The Therapist :

In the meantime, I suggest for your to find a support group in your area for family members and significant others with mental illness.

Customer:

That is probably a good idea. Can you give me an estimate of how long these periods of no contact can last? So I can try and have a timeframe I can deal with..the worsted thing is not knowing how long..weeks? months? years?

Brad The Therapist :

Typically, medication begin to work between 2 to 4 weeks. If there are any adjustments to medications, then the time frame resets. In terms of therapy, results vary person to person from one to 6 months.

Brad The Therapist :

I suggest giving David 6 more months (although it seems long, but it really isn't) to see if he improves

Customer:

Ok. Should I ask him meanwhile if it is ok to visit?

Brad The Therapist :

Yes, I suggest asking because this is how you genuinely feel. If he does not respond, please do not take it personally.

Brad The Therapist :

In your contact with him, you can let him know that he can say "no" as well and that you will not take it offensively

Customer:

OK that is sound. Thank you so much Brad I am happy to accept this. Keep up the good work.thank you again. :-)

Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults