Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I recently switched from Celexa to Zoloft and am finding my situation

I recently switched from Celexa to Zoloft and am finding my situation is worse. I have been on the zoloft for 10 weeks and am having the worst depression I've ever had.

I was on Prozac before the Celexa for more than 10 years with good results. I was switched after a string of famiy tradegys that just got the best of me.

Since the Zoloft doesn't seem to be working for me, would goig back on Prozac be an option? I wonder if some of these drugs loose their effectiveness over time.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

To answer your questions, yes, some drugs lose effectiveness over time. Celexa has recently fallen out of favor due to a possible cardiac abnormality. Zoloft is very different and just may not be the correct drug for you, especially if you have yet to respond and if you are on at least 150mg. Prozac may be a very good option. Lexapro is most similar to Celexa but may not have the cardiac risk. Another try would be an SNRI, perhaps Cymbalta or Pristiq. WhaT YOU CANNOT IGNORE IS THAT SITUATIONAL FACTORS don't respond well to medication. If you have personal stressor, Medication plus counseling is a far superior option than either one alone. I would still consider changing off Zoloft if it has been no help - it should have lowered anxiety, improved sleep and improved depression if it is effective.

I took Prozac for about 10 years but have been off of it for almost 3 years. Do you think it would be effective again?