Louise Brady
Louise Brady, Registered Nurse
Experience:  Registered Mental Health Nurse
30347889

I have been taking Ativan 2 mg t.i.d. for almost 9 years, prescribed

I have been taking Ativan 2 mg t.i.d. for almost 9 years, prescribed by an excellent psyciatrist. If I stop or run out he scolds me for taking too many!. The other day I ran out. My husband who has end stage emphysema was given clonazepzm 0.5 mg. Rather tan diappoint the psyciatrist I took 1 mg clonazepam at 4 am and 1 mg at 2pm and felt better than on the ativan I see my Doctor Monday Is this a reasonable switch to discuss with him?
Thank-you
Joannie,R.N.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Louise Brady replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a qualified Mental Health Nurse and would be happy to help with your question.

Atvian and Clonazepam are both from the benzodiazepine family and therefore work in similar ways in terms of relieving the physical symptoms of anxiety and distress.
Atvian however works faster than Clonazepam as Clonazepam tends to peak after approx 3-4 hours and is longer acting than most benzodiazepines hence why you may have felt better using it.
It is a perfectly reasonable switch to discuss as you may have developed a tolerance to Atvian following long term use. Initial prescribing dose of Clonazepam is usually 0.5mg.
It is worth noting however that long term use of benzodizepines is not recommended due to issues with dependency. This is something that your doctor may have already discussed with you.
Please press accept, I am happy to answer any further questions.