TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hi Kate Sorry about earlier, i was quite panicky. I feel

Hi Kate

Sorry about earlier, i was quite panicky. I feel a bit better now.

I am not sure how to deal with tomorrows session i feel very defensive and torn between getting extra session or taking a break : )

I just wondered if you might be able to help me position myself for tomorrow.

also i am feeling pretty pants so it helps to chat
thanks
C

C,

Don't worry about earlier today. You were fine. I am glad that you are feeling better :)

It may be ok for you to keep to a schedule with therapy that you feel helps you the most. Therapy can be a few times a week or once every other week. It all depends on your needs and what you feel helps you most.

The only thing you should consider when deciding how to handle how often you are in therapy is whether or not you want to back off because you are afraid of therapy, don't feel it's helping or that you truly need a break from any responsibility. Therapy itself is not usually something you need to take a break from. It is hard work, yes. But it is also helpful. But if you feel your therapist is not helping, it may be time for a change.

Do you have an idea of what you want to talk about tomorrow in therapy? It may help to bring up your needs in therapy, expectations you have of yourself compared to what your therapist feels is important and just some ways you can cope while you are at home or elsewhere. You can have anxiety associated with the thought of integrating your different sides so how you can help yourself through would help.

Kate

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Kate
Thanks for that. The amount of therapy i feel like i need frequency wise is everyday - including weekends!
The reason I feel like backing off therapy is that sometimes its like trying to breathe in an airless enviroment and I just don't know what to do or how to help myself.

Your last paragraph gives me some starting points how I feel in light of where my therapist thinks i should be at. Its not even that i feel anxious about taking on board other parts of me its that i find it hard to believe there are other parts, maybe when i believe it someone will say it was a joke?

Thanks for posting again I am finding things so hard just now
C

I understand! Frequent therapy is good, but exhausting and sometimes scary. But I think all of us need someone to talk to and everyday would be great.

You are doing a great job at helping yourself. In some ways you underestimate how much work you do to help yourself. You go to therapy, seek out other input and you are always trying to find new ways to address how you feel. This is all good stuff.

It's understandable that you feel it might be a joke that you have other parts of your personality. It is a difficult diagnosis to take in. But no one wants you to have that diagnosis. And telling you that when it's not true does not lead anywhere. No one gets anything out of it or benefits in any way. Even if the diagnosis is off, it was given because someone felt it would help you and they made an educated guess so they could help you.

It's ok that you talk with me anytime. I enjoy our time together so don't hesitate to write.

I don't know if I mentioned to you that I will be traveling this weekend starting on Friday. I will have access to a computer, but only when I get to my destination. If you post, it may take me a while to get back. But as long as you put my name in front, the question should be fine.

Kate

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Kate,
Thanks for letting me know about the weekend, have a good journey
C
Thank you! I will be here as usual until then so anytime you want to talk is fine.