Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
45544450

Ive been on paxil for about 5yrs. It doesnt seem to do anything

Customer Question

Ive been on paxil for about 5yrs. It doesnt seem to do anything anymore. Should I take something with it?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

It could be that after 5 years of taking it, you either need to increase the dosage or

you could also need try switching to another SSRI, such as zoloft, lexapro etc. Sometimes

the body does get accustomed to one medication and needs a switch.

Also, the addition of a medication such as abilify, can help boost the primary SSRI, in your case paxil. I would call your prescribing doctor about this. Typically he/she

will first recommend that you try an increased dosage for a few weeks. If that doesn't work, then a switch in meds or the addition of abilify or something similar is the second option.

Please click ACCEPT button or feel free to ask for more info. if needed.

Thank you! Kristin

Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything over the counter I can take
Expert:  Kristin replied 2 years ago.

Well, for mild depression many people have seen benefit with St. John's Wort which is an over the counter, herbal remedy. You could certainly try that if you feel that your initial reason for taking the paxil has improved or if you feel your depression is mild.