Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

Hi, I am five weeks pregnant. And this pregnancy was not

I am five weeks pregnant. And this pregnancy was not planned. I got pregnant by accident by my very physically and emotionally abusive ex boyfriend who has told me he cares nothing about this baby and for me to go have an abortion. Also, my mom despises my ex, as he is very dangerous and has a long prison record. She has no idea im pregnant and Im hiding this from her. If she found out , she would immediately disown me and kick me out of the house.

I have a history of mental health illness- borderline personality, and bipolar and im on social security disability, no job and no money. I was on seroquel 100 mg and lamictal 50 mg, but when I found out I was pregnant, my psychiatrist told me to cut off the meds.

Now, I am experiencing overwhelming anxiety, daily crying spells, constant fear, and very sad and depressed. I feel so helpless an alone. Please, what can I do? I cant take this much longer. Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear what you are going through just now.

First of all, you need to beble to talk this through with someone who can listen and give you some impartial advice about your future options - and you need to do this as soon as possible so that if you do decide to remionate the pregnancy, it can be done quickly and easily.

Please visit the website here for more advice in this area. Also, I suggest you call and get some free counselling on this number - USA: Toll free: 1-800-784-2433

Next is the question of your medication. There are anti-depressants which can be taken throughout pregnancy with a greater degree of safety than others. You can dind out what the Mayo Clinic has to say about that here.

It's really important that you discuss this with your Doc as soon as possible - I'm sure he will be able to help you.

You do need to act quickly though - please start making those calls now.

Best wishes,