KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

parinoid schizophrenia? i believe my sister has it. what are

Customer Question

parinoid schizophrenia? i believe my sister has it. what are some specific signs to look for? please help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MARoss-LCSW replied 2 years ago.

MARoss-LCSW :

Hi, I'm happy to try to help you. I will need to ask you some questions to better understand your situation and help you.

MARoss-LCSW :

Some of the very typical symptoms are audio and or visual hallucinations and/or delusions. Does she have any of these?

MARoss-LCSW :

Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-77rzqhj3- :

Yes, she believes people are sneeking into the house, steeling her and my mothers clothing while she my mom and dad are at home. My mother has brain cancer and is bed ridden so someone is usually home. She has a law suit going on right now and I think it's making her parinoid? She's also done alot of drugs (pills, meth & herion) in the past but she's been clean & sober for approximently 3 to 4 years (she says)? I live 21/2 hrs away so I'm not positive. Just yesterday she told me the telephone was tapped! I asked her by who she yelled and said I don't, I just know it is. She also thinks people are following her and someone may have been because of the law suit? I'm just not sure what to do? My dad and I don't know where to turn? My parents are 83 but my dad's in great shape which makes me feel better because she has been violent (with me), slapping me across the face when things don't go her way. I'm disabled with Multiple Sclerosis but get around pretty good with help from my daughter but my point is she should not put her hands on me, ever! Any suggestions of who or where we should turn for HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.
To further expand on the other experts information, and to provide resources information on getting help... Here is a link that explains Psychosis in greater detail:
Regarding getting help:
There is a community mental health center that provides 24 hour 7 day per week crisis assistance in every county in the United States.
If you respond to me with the county and state in which your sister resides, I will identify the appropriate agency for you to make contact OR you can locate resources by state here:
Best regards XXXXX XXXXX difficult time, Bill
Please Click Green Accept Button So That I Can Receive Credit For My Time I Also Appreciate Your Positive Feedback Have The Best Possible Day!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have an emergency right now! be back in a few houts
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.

Okay- I look forward to hearing from you.

Best, Bill

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
My sister lives in Union, Washingtion (Mason County), I live in Bellevue, Wa (King Cty). I'm not quit sure if my question was answered? I would like to know if it sounds like to you that she could possibally be a parinoid schizophrenic. If so, what are the signs you see. What kind of specialist would you reccomend? She lives on SSI disability so not much money. What are the chances of becoming violent if confronted by the family? Any suggestions on how to handle this? Every time I ask a question does it cost $22.00 for an answer? She is actually on her way up here to see me and get away from my parents for a day or two so I will have to logoff until she leaves. My biggest concern right now is where to turn for help and can she become violent? Hope to hear from you quickly. Thankyou for your help
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 2 years ago.
No, you don't get charged again for ever question you ask in the Q&A format. You're still on your $22.

The symptoms you describe indicate that she is delusional and aggressive. To be diagnosed with schizophrenia there are other symptoms. Along with the delusions she would need to have one of the following, hallucinations, meaning seeing hearing, or otherwise sensing things that no one else can, disorganized speech, grossly disorganized behavior, and flat facial expressions or lack of social interaction.

You don't say how old your sister is, which is a significant factor. Schizophrenia typically appears when the person is in their late teens or early 20s. It is possible to develop at later ages, it may be a medical issue causing mental symptoms

If she doesn't have other symptoms, your sister has delusional disorder, persecutors type. Of course, people with his disorder, generally, lack insight and have no interest in treatment. What usually gets these folks into treatment is they become violent, which she already has. If she tries to hurt you again, call the police, and let them know about her mental issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do love your answer! Unfortunatly, she came up today for a visit without notice. I have a few more questions but I am unable right now to stay online with you without being caught! She just ran to the grocery store for me. Will check in later or tomorrow when she is not with me. I want to speak to me dad because he might have a few more questions? So far you have been very helpful but do have some more questions? Who to contact in our area, etc. I did file a police report on her but did not want to file charges (yet). She is 54 years old.Also has been diagnosed with bi-polar and ADHD. Does that make a difference?

Was she diagnosed with Bipolar and ADHD when she was still using? Drug use distorts behavior so much, it's impossible to give an accurate diagnosis most of the time.

I am happy to answer any other questions you or your family has.