psychcns
psychcns, Nurse
Experience:  Advanced Practice Psychiatric/Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist with Prescriptive Privileges
63942549

Good evening. Whats the best way to back off of 30 mg of

Good evening. What's the best way to back off of 30 mg of Dextrostat a day? I started off at 10 mg a day about 5 years ago and have worked my way up to 30 mg a day within the past few weeks. I would like to take a break from it, but the thought of stopping bothers me. Concerned I might be depending on it too much.

Regards,

JH
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychcns replied 4 years ago.

psychcns :

Do you mean a stimulant for ADHD?

psychcns :

Or Dexedrine type medication for weight loss?

Customer:

Stimulant for ADHD.

psychcns :

What is the generic name, Dextroamphetamine?

psychcns :

Do you take once or twice a day?

Customer:

Yes, Dextroamphetamine. Three times a day. Spaced out every 4 hours starting when I get up at 5:30 a.m.

psychcns :

People taking Dextroamphetamine at the prescribed dosages for legitimate medical purpose generally do not have withdrawal symptoms. It's usually occurs in people who are abusing it.

psychcns :

That being said, there is no need for you to stop it cold turkey. I would back off by one-10mg pill a day and see how you respond in regards XXXXX XXXXX attention and focus, perhaps the middle dosage or the dosage that maybe your peak attention is not required.

psychcns :

Withdrawal symptoms can be quite uncomfortable if you were to experience them.

psychcns :

Of course, you should talk with your prescribing practitioner about this.

psychcns :

Or, take a break from it on the weekends, or your days off, when your attention is not so critical.

psychcns :

Often, school kids, who are appropriate to do so, don't take their ADHD meds on the weekends or summers to help improve their appetites, etc.

psychcns :

Of course, if they are bouncing off the wall and absolutely can't focus or are getting in trouble at home because of their symptoms they can't do without it.

Customer:

Glad you brought that up. I have been taking it on weekends when I don't really need it. I'll reduce it during the week and stop on weekends. Thanks.