Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

my granddaughter is labeled adhd. however she is very distructive, this weekend she locke

my granddaughter is labeled adhd. however she is very distructive, this weekend she locked a younger child in a plastic bin, when her step mom told her she could have killed him she smiled. she smiles when she hurts one of their dogs or cats. she tells them she hears voices in her head. it sounds like schitophrenia to me.
is she diagnosed wrong? we need help. marion
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

Childhood Onset Schizophrenia is definitely a possibility if she is having these symptoms. You say she is hearing voices. Is this correct? Is she also delusional, like she thinks people are doing things to her or talking about her, etc.? Have you reported these symptoms to her doctor?

I need to be thorough, so let's make sure there are no developmental issues:

Has she been evaluated as being higher than average intelligence?

Does she make friends easy now and in the past? Did she always play in age appropriate ways and does she have good social skills?

Does she tend to obsess on activities she likes and have a hard time stopping when it's time to do something different?

Does she have repetitive motions and movements? Does she also have certain habits she does over and over?

Does she make facial expressions when talking, when she's unhappy or angry?

Does she have a hard time relating to other people's feelings?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not higher intelligence. however, she tends to hide her intelligence.
she is in 4th grade, and not doing well. they keep moving her along because of the adhd evaluation. her step mom ( my daughter) gets after them about making her learn. they put her in an extra help class because she didn't know her multiplication tables. she gets 100's now!
she doesn't make friends. she has two sibling cousins, one is 8 the other 2 1/2. she prefers to play with the 2 1/2 year old. she is very tiny for her age, and often won't eat. she will act like a 5 year old one minute, then expose herself to a boy ie pulling up her dress, or top. kissing them. she does tend to obsess on an activity and ignore
things, ie when her mom asks her to get ready to go to bed she won't stop playing. That seems normal to me. she definitly has a hard time relating to others feelings. Ie, she yells for no reason at my daughter, tells her she hates her and hopes she dies, for no reason.
it makes my daughter cry, and she smiles. she often reverts to a baby voice when talking to people. when she is angry her eyes flash and she growls. she often growls when my daughter asks her to do something. she does not express much feeling for others. when she comes to visit there is no hugs, not even an hello from her she just walks past you and goes to the tv, or the toy box. Her father was raising her since a baby, her real mom was in jail. He is kind of back woods, but kind to her. He likes playing those video games. I have told my daughter that he shouldn't play them around Lauran, as they are violent, and he plays them on a large screen tv and its loud.
I don't know if this has any effect on her. its a tiny house. She doesn't sleep well at all and almost always has dark circles under her eyes. She is cute, and can be really sweet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, am i going to get any answers?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
twice it said i would get an answer in 20 minutes, and i waited. this morning and now. nothing.
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am sorry that you have been delayed.

I have read your original information and the feeback from the other Expert.

I have worked with children for nearly 35 years in concert with Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists and when I read about your granddaughters behavior I have little reason to believe she is schizophrenic.
Moreover, my sense is that she is most likely a child abuse survivor of some type.

Children who are cruel to other children and particularly animals have a high probability of being abuse survivors, very often sexual.

These children are extremely angry inside, often developing dissociation of thought which is sometimes expressed as someone talking in my head.

If I was working with this child, I would want to rule out the possibility of abuse. I would also be curious to know if she has any history of bed wetting of fire-setting???

Without question, the child needs a comprehensive psychological evaluation (more than a visit to a psychiatrist) so that the appropriate diagnoses can be established and a treatment plan that will bring wellness can be adequately defined.

If you need referral assistance for a qualified Psychologist please respond with the Zip Code, City and State where your granddaughter resides and I will be happy to assist.

Best, Bill

Please Click Green Accept Button So That I Can Receive Credit For My Time
I Also Appreciate Your Positive Feedback
Have The Best Possible Day!
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she resides in mt laurel nj 08054
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

Hello- I would contact one of the Psychologists from the list at the following link:

I trust this will help get your daughter the help she needs.

Best, Bill