Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice
16903060

i am in a bowling rolloff. i have been worrying about it for

i am in a bowling rolloff. i have been worrying about it for 3 weeks . i am afraid of everyone seeing how nervous i am .i am afraid of just doing terrible . i am a sort of shy person with not a lot of confidence in anything. i no it isnt that important to alot of people so why am i so terrified of it
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Dr.Kappler :

thank you for choosing just answer. What you're suffering from is performance anxiety which is the sports enthusiast equivalent of stage fright. Being an already shy person you know how much pressure there is in the playoffs and that determines your ranking for the whole year. Professional athletes will hire therapists to help them psych up for a game. The techniques they use are things you can apply yourself.

Customer:

how do i applly

Dr.Kappler :

The first is called positive imagery. This is achieved best if you go to your bowling alley and sit a lane similar to one you will be playing at. You spend about half an hour imagining you bowling your best game. You imagine yourself being able to concentrate on the pins and not the ball and having good posture and a good delivery you concentrate on the feeling of the ball leaving your hands and the sound it makes as it goes down the lane and hits the pins.

Dr.Kappler :

Doing this as many times as possible will help you gain composure and concentration. Some sports therapists say that this kind of psychological rehearsal is equivalent to actually playing an excellent game in terms of your mental response

Customer:

how do i cope with the nervousness

Dr.Kappler :

.The second technique that is used frequently improves your self-esteem. Every time you feel nervous you concentrate on breathing slowly, relaxing and thinking that you will do an outstanding job. Learning to slow down your breath continue to concentrate on positive thoughts will prevent your nervousness from overwhelming you.

Dr.Kappler :

The third technique is to think about the preparations to your game the actual game and being with your team members afterwards and celebrating the fact that you have had really good game before you go to sleep. Take about 10 min. of guided imagery in which you imagine being calm and concentrated during the game the feeling of your teammates appreciating your abilities and the enjoyment of winning. This will increase the chances of your training and more positive way about your game.

Customer:

i am rely hoping we lose so i dont advance to next week and go through this again

Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience: 25 years in private practice