Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice
16903060

PRIORITY QUESTION AND DESCRIPTION ANSWER: Who coined the term Baker Act? Meaning?

Customer Question

PRIORITY QUESTION AND DESCRIPTION ANSWER:

Who coined the term Baker Act? Meaning?

How did it begin and where and when and why?

What locations (districts, cities, towns,states, countries)?

Which groups of ____ does it apply to?

Legality in all occupations and locations??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Dr.Kappler :

thank you for choosing just answer. the “Baker Act,” was named after Maxine Baker, former State Representative from Miami who sponsored the Act, after serving as chairperson of the House Committee on Mental Health. According to Representative Baker, the intent of the Act was to encourage voluntary commitments as opposed to involuntary (when the person was competent to consent), to separate the process of hospitalization from the process of legal incompetency, to increase community care of persons with mental illnesses, and to facilitate persons’ return to normal community life.

Dr.Kappler :

the Baker act begin as a reform of the statutes governing the treatment of mental illness in Florida. Before the Baker act was enacted, a person could be placed in a state hospital if three people signed affidavits and secure the approval of a county judge. The law stated that the committing judge was required to have any dissolute person with mental illness committed to the Sheriff for safekeeping until transferring to the hospital. Children as young as 12 years old could be placed in a state hospital with adults. The Baker act prohibited the indiscriminate admission of persons to state institutions or the retention of persons without just cause. The Baker act mandated court-appointed attorneys to represent each person for whom involuntary placement was sought and provided for independent reviews every six months of all involuntary placements. The Baker act established a patient's Bill of Rights, protecting persons rights to communicate with whomever they wish to, to receive and send unopened mail, to use their own possessions, and to vote, among many other rights. Bill also prohibited the placement of persons with mental illness and jails, unless they had committed a criminal act

Dr.Kappler :

the Baker act protected all persons with serious mental illness and the state of Florida and all of its districts, cities, and towns. It applies to the mentally ill in all occupations and vocations.

Dr.Kappler :

I see that you're currently off-line and I will be available for your reply till midnight Pacific standard Time. If my answer is sufficient please click the green accept button so that I may be paid

Customer :

More clarification: please explain if there is a correlation with the word "blacklist and whitelist"? Can there be a word correlation with the term "Baker" Act and are the meanings the same in occupations, vocations, and locations (such as districts, towns, cities, states and countries)?

Customer :

How can I get help if I am a victim of this Baker Act?

Customer :

Would you provide neuropsychological help.....assessment and results? How can I get a screening test and by whom? who should provide diagnosis for memory problems?

Dr.Kappler :

The term whitelist is used to describe a list of entities for one reason or another or being provided a particular privilege service access or recognition. White listing can mean to authorize access or grant membership. Conversely, blacklist is a term to describe a list for compilation that identifies entities that denied unrecognized or ostracized

Dr.Kappler :

that is a correlation between the two. There is no correlation to the term"Baker act"that I have been able to find in research.

Dr.Kappler :

if you are attempting to see if there is a white list blacklist around the application of the Baker act to commitment of people to psychiatric hospitals I doubt you're going to find anything in print. Having spent the last 30 years as a forensic psychologist in the State of California I can easily say that certain occupations, vocations and locations do have a preference in the judicial system. It was rare that I saw a well-educated, well-heeled professional be committed to the state hospital. In California if you oppose the system and do not behave appropriately in court and was unable to defend yourself that was certainly a ticket for involuntary commitment.

Dr.Kappler :

Your next question about getting help if you are a victim of the Baker act would be involved in the six month review. Taking an active interest in your case, demanding from the court a second opinion as to your psychiatric state or hiring an attorney who would make such arrangements for you gives you a much better chance of presenting yourself appropriately in court.

Dr.Kappler :

if you're not able to do this and have a lack of funds then it is important to have a good relationship with your treating psychiatrist, followi in earnest your treatment plan and be compliant to all the rules of the hospital you're committed to. Keep in mind that you are being evaluated in your ability to handle a stressful situation and the degree to which you comply with the rules and regulations. Several months of good behavior, taking the opportunity for education and work and having a positive attitude towards your psychiatrist or treatment team will give you significant leverage in improving that you can be discharged. I was part of the treatment team treating involuntarily committed psychiatric patients for 25 years and this is the best advice I can give you.

Dr.Kappler :

As to your last question neuropsychological assessment is very costly and only recommended if there is some concern about organic damage. I specialized neuropsychological assessments and taught courses in neuropsychology. Neuropsychological assessments were only provided if there was sufficient proof that psychological problems the patient was suffering from may have had an organic basis. Neuropsychological screening tests are provided by psychologists with some training in the area. As a neuropsychologist I found them almost useless because of the number of false negatives. Memory problems are clearly in the of the expertise of the psychologist. The Wechsler memory test measures memory in several different levels and areas and is highly accurate in its measurement of one's strengths and weaknesses in that area. That combined with the Wechsler intelligence test for adults with give me much information about the neuropsychological functioning of the client.

Customer :

Thank you Dr. Kappler but I would like further help on this priority question. What is this six month review? would I still be a victim or a free individual when it is in progress?

Customer :

"I am afraid of becoming a victim of the 'Baker Act' again or being labeled a 'schizophrenic' 'paranoid' or any other terms such as 'schizoaffective disorder v. paranoid personality' 'obsessive compulsive disorder' that any psychiatrist have already documented because of the ill adverse effects of psychotropics/antipsychotics that I was falsely reassured to take for my conditions of depression with anxiety.

Customer :

I am injuried neurologically and emotionally but cannot get the proper help such as medical care that I sought from a psychiatrist for depression/ptsd. The medical specialists have not been able to explain the unusual occurences such as a 'parasitic' stomach-legs-arms and brain' which is delayed or not referred with each attempts to get treatment. I have not been diagnosed or misdiagnosed? Will you be willing to provide further information based on your knowledge or expertise in explaining what can completely halt or stop the symptoms affecting my body systems. <source Bing: suppression>

Customer :

I do not have a psychiatrist or psychologist at this time. Will you perform neuropsychological assessment as you are a forensic psychologist? Are you in private practice or do you need permission from another official authority to conduct psychometrics=psychological testing? Does this have to be done in person at the office? I would like to have the MSE and the MMSE tests? What are the costs for these examination by an administrator such as yourself? <source: en.wikipedia.org>

Dr.Kappler :

if you have some basis you may write to the church saying that you have a neurological illness and explain your situation. The judge can order a neuropsychological assessment as well. The connection between a neurological impairment the diagnosis such as schizophrenia schizoaffective disorder is pretty thin. I no longer practice is a forensic psychologist and besides that I'm only licensed in California. You need to find somebody in Florida who can come to court to testify. I haven't done a forensic neuropsychological exam in many years so the cost is not something I can estimate. It's probably different in your state as well. I'm sorry I'm not giving you any concrete answers but a letter to the judge may be sufficient at this point.

Dr.Kappler :

I'm going off-line and half an hour and will be back online 9 AM Pacific standard Time