MARoss-LCSW
MARoss-LCSW, Therapist
Experience:  18 years experience as a therapist/counselor.

My doctor prescribed venlafaxine for my depression - 75 mg. It

My doctor prescribed venlafaxine for my depression - 75 mg.
It has helped the depression, but I feel sleepy and have no desire to do anything-such as everyday tasks I must do. Should I take less or try another anti-depressent? I have insomnia so she prescribed 10 mg of amitryptyline to take before bedtime. Am I over-medicated?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MARoss-LCSW replied 2 years ago.

MARoss-LCSW :

Hi, I'm happy to try to help you. I am a psychiatric social worker, not a doc but see people every day on meds. I can try to help you with this if you'd like. How long have you been on the medication?

Customer:

one month and 15 days

MARoss-LCSW :

did you start on a lower dose like 37.5 mg?

Customer:

no. She wanted me to take another pill at 4:00 each day, but it made me very nervous so I do not do that. On my re-check she told me to take 1 and 1/2 of a pill at the same time each day.

MARoss-LCSW :

Ok. I'm a little confused :)) You are taking 1 1/2 pills twice a day?

Customer:

only 1 and 1/2 pill daily plus the one for sleep

MARoss-LCSW :

And the dose of each pill is 75 mg?

Customer:

no. One 75 mg pill and 1/2 of a 75 mg. pill

MARoss-LCSW :

right. That's what I meant. And you've been on this same dose since you first started the medication?

Customer:

I took 1 pill for a month and I have taken 1 and 1/2 pills for the the past 15 days. I feel no different.

MARoss-LCSW :

Did you feel any better after the first month on just 75 mg?

Customer:

In my original question I stated the problem. I wish to get out of this conversation. Thank you for you time. Customer/p>

MARoss-LCSW :

Sorry. I need these facts in order to help figure out the problem you are having.

Customer:

I wish to discontinue. Thank you for your time!

MARoss-LCSW :

Can't help figure out the problem without some more info. Sorry I coudn't help.

MARoss-LCSW, Therapist
Experience: 18 years experience as a therapist/counselor.
Thank you for accepting my answer even though we didn't finish our conversation last Sunday.

I DO hope you are feeling better and get this issue resolved.

If I can try to help you further, please let me know.

Melanie A Ross LCSW