Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

my daughter has had an out burst this weekend. She often has

my daughter has had an out burst this weekend. She often has night terrors and reports that she feels someone is in her bedroom. On Friday, we heard her screaming and went to find her on the landing outside her bedroom. She then became very agitated and told us that she had been dragged out of her bed and that her arm was sore. She came into our bed but became agitated when the light was turned out. She became very anxious and said that the man was angry especially with her father. Her face contorted. Her eyes changed and she began to growl like a man trying to speak in some sort of foreign language. This is the second time that this has happened in 6 months. She has always suffered from depression since the age of 15. Today she has contorted her face and has growled in a more controlled manner. We are petrified when she has one of these attacks. She becomes very aggressive. She has tried to comitt suicide twice in the last 6 months. Please help us. We took her to casualty last nigh
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 4 years ago.
Hey there,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about what you're going through with your daughter. The problems you've described are very alarming and I can certainly understand why you would be scared. If you are concerned for her safety or anyone else's, that is generally the sign to take her back to casualty. I'm sure this may seem redundant since you just went through this last night, however considering the fact that her symptoms are getting worse and she is exhibiting all of the signs that she will have another incident, this would be the most proper way to handle this for now in order to prevent any more serious problems from occurring.

Once you've got this current situation under control, you may want to look into inpatient or residential services for your daughter in the short term. Considering her history of suicide attempts and now these more recent problems, it is very important to get these issues under control. With more intense observation and treatment there may be a better chance in getting this problem stabilized and sorted out so that this does not continue to be a problem. Unfortunately for now it seems like the problem was not resolved last night and waiting until Monday may put people at risk. Because of that, it would seem best to take her back to casualty.

I'm sure this has been extremely difficult and I certainly wish you the best. If there is anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could she be schizophrenic or is she possessed? Your answer does not help me really.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is my daughter schizophrenic or could she be possessed?
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 4 years ago.
What you've described can certainly be signs of schizophrenia. Your daughter is at an age (18-24) where it's very common for mental illness to set in or get worse, which may explain why she's having more significant problems lately. Most people don't believe in such a thing as someone being "possessed," but someone who has schizophrenia, and/or borderline personality disorder can definitely seem like they are possessed in extreme cases like your daughters.

The way I understood your original question was that you were looking for ideas on how to handle your daughter right now since you were scared for everyone's safety. That is why I recommended taking her back to casualty and looking into more intensive care so that you can get proper observation and diagnosis from people who are experienced with these types of problems. If there are other questions that I missed or that you would like me to answer just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
could her outburst have been caused by the overdose of Citalopram?. She took 14 tablets . She has not had any for 10 days.
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 4 years ago.
The overdose itself would not trigger these types of problems several days later. However, if your daughter had been taking the Citalopram regularly up until her overdose, it's very possible that she is having some withdrawal effects after not having been on it for 10 days, which could have contributed to her outburst. Unfortunately, even if she were having severe withdrawal effects, that would not explain the voice changing, face contorting, growling etc, unless there were already some other mental health issues contributing to this. Citalopram withdrawal can certainly enhance any problems that she was previously having, but it's highly unlikely that this event was triggered by that alone.