Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist

I have just started on Effexor tables 37.5 mg daily. I have

Customer Question

I have just started on Effexor tables 37.5 mg daily. I have been on antidepresants before and experienced a completely numbed libido and iniability to feel sexual response. My doctor has assured me that Effexor is different and doesn't cause sexual response problems (which almost ended my marriage when I was on the prior antidepressant) i would like some assuranced thae Effexor will not cause the same sexual probelems I experienced on the prior medication
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 4 years ago.
Hey there,

Unfortunately with anti-depressants there is almost always some risk of there being sexual side effects. There is a warning on the website for Effexor about the potential for delayed ejaculation or loss of sexual desire (occurring in 3% of people), and 'decreased sexual desire or ability' is listed as a common side effect for Venlanfaxine, which is the Generic name for Effexor.

That doesn't mean that you won't have better success with Effexor than you had with your previous anti-depressant, but unfortunately there is always some risk for sexual side effects with any mood altering medication.

I hope I've been able to answer your question and help you out. If there's anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Why then did my Psychiatrist say that this drug does not seem to have the propensity for sexual side effects as other drugs such as Prozac and Zoloft? He said is was not the same chemical make up and would cause no problem sexually with response or ability to be aroused.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Would like an MD's perspective