MARoss-LCSW
MARoss-LCSW, Therapist
Experience:  18 years experience as a therapist/counselor.

Do I have adhd and can I treat it? I have suffered from depression

Customer Question

Do I have adhd and can I treat it? I have suffered from depression for years with very little help from the AD drugs, pristiq and lexapro. Never thought I might have add or adhd until a friend who is suffering from it pretty much hit the nail on the head when listing the symptoms she has suffered from.

I was labeled gifted at an early age but failed to reach my full potential in school despite the fact that I am smart and highly creative(majored in fine arts) Though I easily understood the material and scored exceedingly well on my act, I was a C student who had trouble finishing homework and projects. I am ALWAYS losing something. It is a DAILY struggle to keep hold of keys, wallets, cards, phones paperwork, etc and as a result my career has really suffered. I am self-employed and my forgetfulness had really affected my professional image/reputation. I am a constant day-dreamer and have absolutely no ability to put a cap on it even during moments where I really need to focus. I have about a million tasks/projects up in the air at any given time and am not doing well at any one thing. I feel lethargic 90% of the time, have a hard time getting out of bed or feeling motivated enough to complete the simplest of things(AD drugs have not helped this in any way). I often self-medicate and while I don't abuse drugs, I do taking prescription pain killers and other substances just to feel better. Im about at the end of my rope trying to deal with this. I feel like I am lazy and worthless and I have damaged may professional and family relationships as a result of my behavior. I am accountable for my actions but my actions have cause me so much grief over the years, so why can I not change my behavior? I am probably just grasping at straws but I am desperate to find a solution.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MARoss-LCSW replied 2 years ago.

MARoss-LCSW :

Hi, I'm happy to try to help you. Have you ever been tested for ADD?

Customer:

No

MARoss-LCSW :

What kind of doctors are prescribing your meds? Primary care doc or a psychiatrist?

Customer:

nurse practional

Customer:

who I see on a regular basis

Customer:

I have had very limited therapy

MARoss-LCSW :

A nurse practitioner would not be able to help you adequately with this. Do you have access to see a psychiatrist either under your health insurance if you have it, or out of pocket?

Customer:

I would have to pay out of pocket and though it would be difficult to do this, I am willing to get the proper treatment

Customer:

In the past time and money was a huge factor in seeking help due to the fact that I was working 14 hour days as an assistant horse trainer(does not make much money!)

MARoss-LCSW :

it may be worth paying out of pocket to get evaluated by a psychiatrist who can properly evaluate possible ADD and your depression because once they figure out meds that can be helpful, you wouldn't have to consistently see them and pay a ton of money. It does sound like you have some ADD symptoms. There is a book called Driven to Distraction that is very good.

Customer:

I am reluctant to try antidepressants again. Just came off pristiq and though I tapered it, I am still suffering very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms (brain shocks, crying bouts, etc)

MARoss-LCSW :

Although you've been on Pristiq and Lexapro for depression, there are various other AD meds you can try if you haven't already. There are potential for side effects from ANY meds and peoples body chemistry is different, so it's a matter of finding the right med. You may be having depression because you might have ADD that is untreated and you are struggling and thus causing depression.

Customer:

I do carry a lot of grief and guilt on my shoulders which certainly does not help produce a sunny outlook

MARoss-LCSW :

Can you explain, if comfortable, why you are carrying a lot of grief and guilt?

Customer:

my actions affect those around me who find it very difficult to live with me, Im extremely sensitive and to know I have caused more harm than good in peoples lives is extremely unbearable

MARoss-LCSW :

You mean your actions due to your possible ADD?

Customer:

part of me just wants to accept the fact that I am lazy and incompetent, but if I could've changed it, wouldn't I have done so?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

Trouble just seems to find me. Either Ive lost something very important, backed my car into something, AGAIN, forgotten to hold an appointment, etc, etc

MARoss-LCSW :

If ADD is causing these problems, you are not lazy and incompetent. If $ has been a factor, you may have been reluctant to get help. That's understandable. I've seen lots of people come in my office on ADD meds and says their lives have changed.

Customer:

didn't renew something important, etc etc

MARoss-LCSW :

Do you have any health care coverage and if so, what does it cover? where do you live?

Customer:

I have medical coverage, yes, but I do not believe it would cover therapy(though I need to verify this)....I am south of Dallas, tx

MARoss-LCSW :

Yes, please check your coverage. You may be suprised. If it doesn't cover therapy, it might cover a psychiatrist as they are MDs. Also, many primary care docs dispense AD and ADD meds. Nurse practitioners are very helpful and well trained but depression and ADD are specialities. You may also want to check out what free/county services, if any, are available in your area. Take a supportive friend/relative with you to an appt if you are nervous going alone.

Customer:

will do...thanks!

MARoss-LCSW :

Please accept my answer if you feel i've been helpful and check out that back I suggested. Also do a search on the net for ADD support groups in your area.

Customer:

ok...thanks again

MARoss-LCSW, Therapist
Experience: 18 years experience as a therapist/counselor.
Hi

Just wanted to check in on you. How are you doing? Did you find out about your coverage, finding a private psychiatrist etc? If you have more questions, feels free to ask!

Hope you're doing better.

Melanie Ross LCSW