Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor

My mother is being treated for dementia at present and is in

My mother is being treated for dementia at present and is in a nursing home. She is a very fit and healthy 70year old, but she is about to be moved for the 2nd time, as they cannot deal with her aggression/violence and temper.She is talking to herself constantly.

She has always been a very difficult and aggressive person, being very intolerant of people, being confrontational and never listening to other's opinions. On her own admission to me she went through numerous back operations without any need, as she wanted to go on the sick from her nursing job. She also used to feign illnesses regularly as she appeared to like the attention.

She was a very bullying parent and on occassions tried to strangle me. In the past few weeks, I learned that she used to strangle my Aunty until she passed out when they were young. My Aunty managed to fight her off when she reached 15 years of age - my mother is 4 years older than her. Does this not sound more than dementia?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 2 years ago.

Heidi LPC :

Hi there! I am so sorry for your troubles right now... watching a parent struggle with any type of mental/physical disability is extremely challenging, especially when you want to see them get the proper help they need...

Heidi LPC :

What I am wondering is what happened with the schitzophrenia diagnosis?

Heidi LPC :

Pardon my spelling... typing too fast ;-)

Customer:

She has a Social Worker, but she was very dismissive of this idea. Mum is being treated for Alzheimer's at present. My father, who's had a stroke goes in to see her every day, but most of the time she insults him and shouts at him. Today especially, the forgetfulness went and she managed to tell him that she hated being in the home and wanted to kill herself and said that it was all his fault. Her one-to-one worker is frightened of her and the previous worked has been off sick due to the stressd of working with my mother.

Customer:

I was really looking for a bit of advice on what may be the underlying problem with my Mum's mental health.

Heidi LPC :

It sounds like she may definitely need some meds... and although I'm not a doctor, I recommend that you demand a meeting with her doctor, because the aggression could be a hindrance to her getting the proper care she needs. There could be all kinds of reasons; she may have had a developmental disability from early on that was the root of her feigning illness, or she may have been bipolar, which often comes with this type of behavior. I am attaching a link for you to check out, and although the information on the web can be confusing, you are her only advocate to get her the help that she needs, so take good care of yourself while you struggle through this... here is one link to some information: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/288689-overview

Heidi LPC :

I will also now opt out of this answer so that it can be re-listed to hopefully be picked up by a Psy D. or someone with other ideas... thank you for using the site, and I wish you all the best! You are doing good work so far--- keep it up!! :-)

Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed Professional Counselor
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Expert has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!