Howard Wise
Howard Wise, Counselor
Experience:  Counseling with a compassionate ear and a loving heart.

Confused over survivors guilt as part of PTSD. Is the term

Customer Question

Confused over survivor's guilt as part of PTSD. Is the term "survivor's guilt" actually mentioned in the DSM-IV-TR as an Associated Feature? Or is it street talk?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Howard Wise replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,

I am not able to find the term "survivor's guilt." Below is the link to the section.

http://www.mental-health-today.com/ptsd/dsm.htm

I hope this has helped.
Howard Wise, Counselor
Experience: Counseling with a compassionate ear and a loving heart.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What a rip-off ! "You were not able to find survivor's guilt" ? I could have said that !

You're the clinical psychologist...you're supposed to know about these things. I repeat - I could have done that search.

Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry you're unhappy with the previous answer. I think I can help.

Survivor's guilt is, of course, a very common feeling. It is not part of the formal definition of PTSD, which is defined more by thoughts and feeling related to experiencing the trauma. Survivor's guilt can be experienced along with PTSD, but also without it or even my someone who didn't experience the trauma, but who lost someone to to any kind of unexpected death. The term is used both professionally, in mental health circles, and in generally language. I think the reason for that is it is so obviously a genuine experience of many people.

I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if I'm going in the wrong direction or you have a related question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. You have to admit that first answer was/is pretty darn lame. The entire reason why I went to this site if the first place was because I personally had searched and searched and came up with nothing re: that term actually being in the DSM-IV-TR. And what does this guy do? He has the nerve to come to me in the form of an answer saying "I searched it". And I paid $22 for that? 1. This guy ought to be ashamed of himself. and 2. the company ought to drop him off their rolls. It makes the rest of you(s) look really-really bad.

Thanks again.
I don't know what Howard was thinking when he answered your question, but I can't fault him, I have my moments too.

Thank you for excepting my answer.