Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

our son is 20 yrs old, few days ago was diagnosed with shizofrenia from a nevrologist. He

Customer Question

our son is 20 yrs old, few days ago was diagnosed with shizofrenia from a nevrologist. He studies in UK , we come from another country . We are here with him and luckily I brought Risperdal with me after I spoke with a psychiatrist in our country. It's been 3 days that I've given him the medicine without his knowledge. He refuses that he has a problem. Me and his father have many worries because the system in UK is not helping at all. I've been told that in order to have a proper therapy in hospital , he has to go on his own will since he is 20 and he did not make any incident. I've been told from our doctor in our country that after few days on Risperdal, he will be more cooperative with us in order to take him back to our country and see a doctor or go to one here. Is that true???
Today, he left from our serviced appartment in London to go for a walk, refusing to go with him. I am really worried what will happen with him since he is new under medication,and what I shall do! Thank u
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 2 years ago.

Rafael Morales Toia :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you.

Rafael Morales Toia :

Could you please tell me how it happened for him to be evaluated and diagnosed in the UK?

Customer :

He is studying in Stafford. this is his third year. He was not answering our calls and his father got worried and came to UK to see him

Rafael Morales Toia :

I see!

Rafael Morales Toia :

Medication like this would numb him and that would increase your chances for getting him back to your country for proper treatment. Now, every person reacts in different and peculiar ways to these psychiatric drugs, and none assure you he would be numbed enough to cooperate.

Rafael Morales Toia :

So he took him to the neurologist. How he found him? Could you describe his mood, behaviors, thinking?

Rafael Morales Toia :

Refusing to use medication is a common issue, and sooner or later they find out, so you need to be very skillful and cautious not to get further resistance from him. Assuming he truly has psychotic problem.

Customer :

he came last monday and saw him on this situation. 24 hrs speaking to himself and moving his handsand laug hing. So I came also in UK and brought him to london and had a nevrologist visit,who diagnosed shizofrenia. But he could not do anything else for him

Customer :

his behavior now u mean?

Rafael Morales Toia :

What professionals would have to assess and find i=out is how this disorder started, what triggered it and from there work on the right medication as necessary and most importantly providing adequate psychotherapeutic support.

Rafael Morales Toia :

Thanks for describing his behaviors. Sometimes drugs could trigger or create very rapidly a psychotic disorder too. No way to know but with time, assessment and regular support.

Customer :

the problem is that he refuses his problem , do not want to see another doctor and refuses to go back to Greece , even for easter holidays

Customer :

what about today. can yu give me an advise???

Rafael Morales Toia :

I do totally agree with your plan, he needs intensive psychological, behavioral and possibly psychiatric support as necessary until he gets stable and you actually know which are the core issues here and the nature of this condition.

Customer :

He left from our appartment around 10:30 am to go for a walk alone. He refuses to go with him and he got the underground. What are our next moves????

Rafael Morales Toia :

Considering the symptoms you have described, plus the preliminary diagnoses by neurologist, it seems to be in effect a psychotic disorder, and the very impairments of awareness, understanding and assertiveness it creates makes it difficult if not sometimes impossible to provide sound support, but only –as stated by other professionals there- when he engages in dangerous behaviors representing a risk to harm self or others.

Customer :

oh my God!!!! He just returned with a shopping bag!!!!!!!!

Rafael Morales Toia :

Do not leave him alone, you do not know how serious is this psychotic episode, so he needs to be monitored and supported as much as possible. Is he violent at all?

Customer :

no!!!!!

Rafael Morales Toia :

Every effort must be focused now on getting you back to Greece for him to get necessary regular, intensive professional and family support.

Rafael Morales Toia :

That’s very good then. This is the time to make everything in your power to take him back.

Customer :

thank u! I am glad that my son is back!

Rafael Morales Toia :

Please do not leave him alone, now you need to be stronger and set boundaries here. Not easy, it is tough but necessary to protect and support him, getting the help he needs.

Rafael Morales Toia :

If you happen to know or have contact information about his close friends, please contact them and ask for support if possible and necessary as a last resource in case he refuses to go with you.

Rafael Morales Toia :

I will be here to support you as necessary, please feel free to contact me back.

Thanks for your trust and hope things improve. Glad he got back home safe.