Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I dont want to stop taking Xanax.

I don't want to stop taking Xanax. I am watching several people being thrown into a tail spin when they are taken off it I have done just fine on xanax all these years and never over dose myself on it. I am an old woman and I have Parkinsons and several other things to deal with I don't need this. I really would like to have the Phone number of of Dr. Nyquist. he knows all about me. it has been years since I saw him I don't know how to get in touch with him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 2 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

You have just asked this question in different words. I agree. Stopping Xananx abruptly can throw a person into a tail spin. You alread suffer from anxiety and the threat of taking you off of it is making you more anxious.

If you have anxierty problems, and you are not getting negative effects from Xanax, then you should continue. You must find a physician who will help you. Writing about it will make you feel good for a moment but will not solve your problem.

As I said before, there are a few other drugs in the same family as Xanax that can help you. See if your current doctor will give you Ativan (lorazepam) and that should replace the Xanax, although there doesn't seem to be a need to do so.

Getting a new doctor is your best bet. Only a doctor can give you these medications. You probably have a new doctor that is afraid that he will be accused of overprescribing Xanax in general, so he is just dropping some of his patients pescriptions to make himself look better. (Drug seekers often take Xanax or get them to sell them. He is treating you like a drug seeker or possible drug reseller and that is so wrong)..

It might take several visits to several doctors, but that is the only way that you are going to get the help you need.

I encourage you not to give up and find the doctor that will help you.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

I have been giving your good advice. Please accept my answer.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.