Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Dr. Nyquist put me on Xanax 27 years . Now the law says I cant

Dr. Nyquist put me on Xanax 27 years . Now the law says I can't get them. What do I do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I have never heard of a law that prohibits a doctor from giving his patient a medication that they have been taking for a long time. That should be between you and your doctor.

Xanaz (alprazolam) is a benzodiazepine and is used for anxiety and panic attacks (a form of anxiety). It is not a medicie that you can quit abruptly without the possibility of having terrible side effects. If you have to quit, it can only be done very slowly over several months.

There are other benzodiazepines that will work almost as well. You tried one (you said colapan and I think you meant Klonopin (clonazepam). That can help with anxiety as can Ativan (lorazepam) or Valium (diazepam).

You should be able to continue on Xanax. I know of no law that would prevent you from having a legal prescription for it and talking it, as before.

If you cannot get satisfaction from this doctor, then find one that will help you, by all means.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC