Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
16045978

I believe I live with a Narcissitic Partner. How can I confirm

Customer Question

I believe I live with a Narcissitic Partner. How can I confirm diagnosis?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 4 years ago.
Hey there,

Only a psychiatrist or psychologist would actually be able to properly evaluate and diagnose someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. However, even if your partner does not have the full disorder, they can still have a lot of Narcissistic tendencies that can be very draining on a relationship.

I've attached a link to a Narcissistic Personality Quiz from a very reputable website. Although this does not take the place of a formal diagnosis, it may help you to get a much better idea of whether your partner does have narcissistic traits.

It can be very interesting for your partner to fill it out based on how they feel, and also have you fill it out based on how you think your partner will answer the questions. Sometimes people aren't actually narcissistic, but their actions/attitudes seem very narcissistic. By comparing answers your partner's answers with the answers you thought your partner would choose, it may help to show your partner how their actions be being perceived, even if that is unintentional on their part.

I hope I've been able to answer your question and certainly wish you the best. If there is anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Ryan
Expert:  Ryan LCSW replied 4 years ago.
Hey there,

I never heard back from you so I hope that I was able to answer your question. If so, I'd appreciate it if you would click the "accept" button since that is the only way I receive credit. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

All the best,

Ryan