TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
64783947

I have seriously been considering seeing a psychologist for

I have seriously been considering seeing a psychologist for several weeks. I go back and forth because I am not sure if I need to or if it will help. How can I know if I shoud be seen and what type of therapist to choose?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 5 years ago.

CoachJenK :

Hi welcome.

Customer:

Hi

CoachJenK :

tell me about your desire to see someone...I think it is wonderful and a sign of great strength

Customer:

I am disabled (severe epilepsy) and I have gone from a full time worker and full time undergrad student to a home bound person in the past 2 1/2 years. Prior to my illness worsening as it has I was a very independent person and having to rely on other is not something I am coping with easily. In fact, I have pretty much shut everyone out because I don't know how to deal with these changes

CoachJenK :

I am so sorry to hear all of that. You deserve to get that support and shutting others out only makes you feel more alone and lonely.

CoachJenK :

you need a safe place to be able to talk and let it all out.

CoachJenK :

It is less critical about the type of therapist and more important that you find someone you connect with and can feel safe to open up.

Customer:

I am very closed up in general so I am not sure how I would go about choosing someone.

CoachJenK :

you would make some calls to some people make an appointment and see how the connection feels. You are doing it here and even though it is online you are still doing it.

Customer:

trust me it has taken a lot to just get to this point and I am afraid I will make the appointment, get there and not be able to open up at all and will have wasted their time...

CoachJenK :

its your time not theirs! And it takes time....go easy on yourself here.

Customer:

Another one of my issues... I am very hard on myself. Even with my illness I beat myself up a lot about the things I can't do

CoachJenK :

I can hear that for sure and it makes my heart break.

CoachJenK :

I know you have an illness but I still want you to have a full life and you deserve that and you deserve to have a place to talk about it all

Customer:

Ok. Well I guess I will look up the number on Monday, which I have already done multiple times but this time I will hopefully be able to follow through

CoachJenK :

I hope so too and you can always come back and ask for me and I will hold your hand through it. Also you dont have to wait until Monday. you can leave a message at any time. do you have someone to call?

Customer:

I have picked several names off my insurance provider's list and I will probably go with whoever can see me soonest (less time to back out).

CoachJenK :

Perfect. That is wonderful. I commend you. Hang on and take care of you! you can do it. I am here if you need.

Customer:

Thank you. Have a great night!

CoachJenK :

you too. Please take care.