Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Will St Johns Wort conflict with pramipexol

Will St Johns Wort conflict with pramipexol or mirtazipine
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

St. John's Wort is a seretonergic agent, such pramipexol or mirtazapine. Using two of these agents together needs close monitoring and may cause serotonin syndrome, which is an uncommon but potentially serious disorder with many unpleasant and possibly dangerous side effects.

The bigger risk (rated major risk) is with mirtazapine; with pramepexol the risk is moderate. I don't recommend taking St. John's Work with either of these elements, nor do I recommend taking mirtazapine and pramepexol together for the same reason.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How long will it take to "washout" the mirtazipine and pramipexol from my system to make safer for St Johns wort?
Dear friend,

Mirtazapine has a half life of about 37 hours for women and 26 hours for men. According to one scientific article, it should completely clear in about 4 days, although you might not want to withdraw so quickly. Have your pharmacist prepare a tapering schedule for safety.

Pramipexol has a half life of 8 to 12 hours. It is recommended that it be discontinued over a period of one week However, abrupt discontinuation seemed to cause no side effects.

I hope that the St. John's Wort works for you. You will suffer less potentail side effects.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
I hope that your transition to St. John's Wort is going smoothly.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC