MARoss-LCSW, Therapist
Experience:  18 years experience as a therapist/counselor.

My sister is 53yrs old use loritab,xanex,ambiens, diet pills

My sister is 53yrs old has been using perscription drugs loritab, xanex,vicodin diet pills she was a registered nurse for almost 15yrs in ER Triage. She goes to a Dr. and they give her any medication she wants. She has been using for about 12 yrs she lost her nursing license. Her son was in a car wreck and was killed about 5yrs ago and she has really hit bottom. She is married and her husband does not know what to do I live in Texas they live in Oklahoma it is like she is a functioning addict she reminds me so much of Whitney Houston. I want to help her but I do not know what to do she says she does not have a problem when we confront her she manipulates and turns it all on us. She is driving while high and has ran off the road into a ditch I just want to know that I have tried and done everything possible to save her life. 
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MARoss-LCSW replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'm happy to try to help you. I'm sorry your family is going through this. Unfortunately, what the drug rehabs in OK told you is true. If an addict doesn't think they have a problem, and they don't want help, there is nothing much you can do. You can try what is called an intervention, when you and other family members or friends meet with her and all tell how they feel and try to convince her to get help. Her husband enabling her does not help matters. If he were to stop that, give her an ultimatum-possibly say he will leave, that might work. You could report her to the DMV regarding the driving under the influence. You can help yourself by going to Al-Anon, 12 step for family and friends of people who are using.

Just checking in on how you and your sister are doing since we chatted about her situation.

How are you doing? If you have other questions, feel free to ask!

Melanie Ross LCSW