KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

having m y wife leave then my father pass away all in a space

Customer Question

having m y wife leave then my father pass away all in a space off 6 months now all i do is fight and drink things i never did before is this cause i'm depressed or is ther something more behind it all
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 2 years ago.

KansasTherapist : Hello
Customer:

hi

KansasTherapist : Can you tell about your symptoms along with the fighting and drinking?
Customer:

i never use to fight i would stop them now i find myself in the middle and enjoy getting hurt.

KansasTherapist : How is your sleep?
Customer:

broken i wake up find myself talkin to myself about random things and i see my father in my dreams at lest once a week

KansasTherapist : How about your appetite?
Customer:

up and down some days i don't eat then others i don't stop

KansasTherapist : It certain sounds like you're depressed. Alcohol makes it worse.
KansasTherapist : Do y think you could stop drinking for a while?
Customer:

no i keep goin to it i even drink at home now i never did before

KansasTherapist : I suggest yu go to yr doctor and talk about how you're feeling. Most family docs will prescribe antidepressants. I also think it would help you to talk to a therapist.
Customer:

thank you but i don't open up to people face to face really thank you

KansasTherapist : Have you ever tried to talk to a therapist.
Customer:

not avilable in this town

KansasTherapist : You're is a pretty bad situation. Your drinking sounds like it's out of control and the fight will eventually end with you getting hurt or hurting someone else.
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience: 17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
Expert:  Dr. L replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning,

I read through your question.

I am sorry that you have lost two significant people in your life - your wife and then your father. Yes...I believe that your are depressed but that depression comes from the loss of these relationships. You are grieving! And..what you are experiencing is quite normal. The anger, the drinking, the fighting...these are ways that you are attempting to cope with the loneliness and pain of your grief.

You did not seem interested in getting therapy...okay...what about a grief support group? Or...would you be willing to do some reading? Most hospitals have grief support groups.

Let me leave you the names of two books. These will help you understand what you are experiencing and give you another way to handle your feelings.

Remembering With Love. Messages of Hope for the First Year of Grieving and Beyond

When Men Grieve. How men grieve differently and how you can help.

Let me know if you would like to chat more.

Dr. Levang